Yamaha PSR E333 or E433?

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
After spending Christmas at my Mum's and playing around on her Technics keyboard (a KN1600) I have decided to treat myself to something I can learn to play and practice on some more.
I've learnt the basics and can just about play a very basic piece of keyboard music to time and with 2 or 3 fingered chords. I would still describe myself as 1 step up from a complete beginner though!
I have narrowed my choice down to the Yamaha PSR E333 or E433. But what I'm wondering, is whether the 433 is worth the extra £100 in cost, which seems like quite a big jump.
Both keyboards have touch sensitive keys, but is there much difference in the quality of the sounds, or "feel" of the keyboards?
Both "appear" to have all the necessary functions to ensure that I won't grow out of them too quickly.
Is the sequencer function of the higher model something that improvers would generally appreciate as they get better?
Any other considerations I should bear in mind? The DJ type functions of the 433 look interesting and a bit of fun, but I don't think worth anything like £100 extra if the 333 delivers almost as good quality in the core functions and sound.
Thanks for your thoughts!
Graham.

Reaction score
Hello Graham,

The sequencer function is for those who make their own music or who play cover songs (other people's music) and might add to it afterward. If you don't plan on doing either, then the sequencer is not needed.

Are you sure of what you want to do with the keyboard after you get it (aside from the learning part)? Try to know what you want, or ask what is available so you can find out what you want. I suggest making sure of what you want because I made the mistake of jumping right in and purchasing a keyboard before I knew what I was doing, and ended up buying another keyboard everytime I realized I needed another function that my current 'board did not have.

hope this helps............Pat

Reaction score
Thanks both. I also came across some additional videos (I think on the US Yamaha site that does not appear on the UK one).

Decision made, I will go for the 433 and hopefully pick one up next week.

Thanks for taking the time out to respond :)

Reaction score
Thanks both. I also came across some additional videos (I think on the US Yamaha site that does not appear on the UK one).

Decision made, I will go for the 433 and hopefully pick one up next week.

Thanks for taking the time out to respond :)

You do the right thing Graham, the 433 is a much better choice and worth the difference in price.
Regards
DickR

Reaction score
Thanks Dick and everyone for the helpful responses. I placed an order for the 433 with Dawson's last night, so should have it next weekend - can't wait!

Reaction score
@The Y-man: I just bought the aforementioned E433, which will be replacing may faithful old E413. I bought the new keyboard because of the new sounds and styles (plus I find that the sound quality is better, sound is crisper and clearer to my ears), and also because of the fact that you can mute style tracks and add up to five user files.

So could you please tell me where I could find such style files? In particular, since popular music is already well represented with the on-board files, I'd like to add some files for classical music, especially Baroque (don't laugh, I had some for an old E313 that I had a long time ago, unfortunately I lost them when my old laptop broke down), and also British pop (from Beatles to Adele) and ballroom music (good, realistic waltzes without accordion badly needed).

Last but not least, could you please tell me if you know what is the difference between style files for the E series and style files for the higher-end models like PSR S750-950, Tyros 4 etc.? I'd like to know which files will work on my keyboard and which files won't.

Many thanks in advance for helping,

Vinciane.

The Y_man

Reaction score
@The Y-man: I just bought the aforementioned E433, which will be replacing may faithful old E413. I bought the new keyboard because of the new sounds and styles (plus I find that the sound quality is better, sound is crisper and clearer to my ears), and also because of the fact that you can mute style tracks and add up to five user files.

So could you please tell me where I could find such style files? In particular, since popular music is already well represented with the on-board files, I'd like to add some files for classical music, especially Baroque (don't laugh, I had some for an old E313 that I had a long time ago, unfortunately I lost them when my old laptop broke down), and also British pop (from Beatles to Adele) and ballroom music (good, realistic waltzes without accordion badly needed).

Last but not least, could you please tell me if you know what is the difference between style files for the E series and style files for the higher-end models like PSR S750-950, Tyros 4 etc.? I'd like to know which files will work on my keyboard and which files won't.

Many thanks in advance for helping,

Vinciane.

I think one of the (newer) Yamaha owners would be better to advise you (my Yamaha is 20+ years old and cannot connect to computer).

The Y-man

Reaction score
Vinciane,
If you go to psrtutorial.com you will find an ocean of info just for Yamaha keyboards. You can download TONS of styles for free and a lot more.
The difference with the 'lower' end and high end keyboard styles is the format used. Lower PSR's use the SSF1 format and the higher end use SSF1 and SSF2 format. You can NOT use SSF2 format on SSF1 keyboards as they are but there are free programs from Jorgen Sorensen for instance to convert them. All has been done many times and you will find them on the mentioned website. Higher end keyboards have more voices and drumkits who don't excist on the lower ones so they will not sound or are replaced by the voices you have.

Ask a Question