yamaha psr e333 or yamaha psr e423

Reaction score
Hi

I am a total beginner and I want to learn to play the keyboard. Iv done some research and found out that the yamaha series has good built in learning software so I figure that that range is probably the best to go for but I'm not sure which one to go for either the e333 or the e423 which is a good bit more expensive.

Once I have learned to play I would like to get into synthesisers, Could these keyboards be used to control soft synths via the usb connections? TBH Im not sure what the difference is between a keyboard and synth apart from you have more control over a synth. Can you control the tone of different sounds on these keyboards?

All advice welcome.

The Y_man

Reaction score
Go the 423 if you can afford it - it gives more variety of built in styles and voices.

Yes, either can be used (via MIDI) to control other synths and virtual software synths.

Synths basically allow modification of the sounds - the 423 can also allow a small degree of modification too (eg attack, release, filter).

I was going thru the same decision process as you, but ended up buying a Casio CTK-7000 for about the same price as the 423

The Y-man

Reaction score
What advantages does the Casio CTK-7000 over the 423?

I'm really not sure what to do the 423 is the one I really like but its nearly £100 more expensive and I not sure if I can justify it given that I'm not sure how far ill get in learning to play.

Still not 100% sure about the difference between ordinary keyboards, workstations/arrangers, synths and digital pianos. I take it a synth has no built in beats or backgrounds to play along with?

Reaction score
What advantages does the Casio CTK-7000 over the 423?

I'm really not sure what to do the 423 is the one I really like but its nearly £100 more expensive and I not sure if I can justify it given that I'm not sure how far ill get in learning to play.

Still not 100% sure about the difference between ordinary keyboards, workstations/arrangers, synths and digital pianos. I take it a synth has no built in beats or backgrounds to play along with?

Hej, hej Recci,

in the british ebay a PSR 423 kosts ca. 250 GBP
http://http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-PSRE423-PORTABLE-HOME-KEYBOARD-PSR-E-PSR-E-423-/160661249261?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Keyboard_RL&hash=item2568281ced

and a Casio CTK 7000 costs ca. 275 GBP, but has a much better polyphonie (64).

So you see the 423 is cheaper.

Here you can look for the 423 specifications, polyphonie (32):
http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/mu...oards/portable_keyboards/psr-e423/?mode=model

And here the specifications for the Casio CTK 7000
http://www.casio.co.uk/products/musical-instruments/high-grade-keyboards/Product/CTK-7000K5/

Best wishes

goldi5210

The Y_man

Reaction score
As Goldi said, bigger polyphony (notes/sounds abled to be played simultaneously), bigger sequencer, more built in rhythms (but Yamaha can upload style files).

Actually I made a mistake - I decided to buy the CTK-6000, but when I got to the shop, they were out of stock, and the CTK-7000 was only $50 more.....

The Y-man

The Y_man

Reaction score
Hey, and don't get me wrong, the E333 is not a bad keyboard.

I just downloaded the manual and had a read for it, and here are some points:

1. only one "user" style selection slot available for upload from internet.
2. voices are NOT editable

The Y-man

Reaction score
All very well amigo's you are correct, Goldi in cold? Sweden. The Y-Man in warm? Australia and I in the middle in lovely climate Bali.

Recci, it is difficult to choose but take advice from experienced people.
The 333 is ok but very limited, a basic keyboard and you can't do much other than play with the inbuild stuff, but is cheap.
The 423 is a MUCH better keyboard with (limited) editing and loading external stuff, It is a basic arranger keyboard. That is what 'arranger' means, you can 'arrange' some things to your liking.
The Casio 7000 (or the 7500, is the same but has 76 keys instead of 61) has a LOT more to offer than any of the others in the same pricerange and is a full arranger/workstation keyboard. Workstation in simple words is, you can create styles and voices from scrap, you can attach a microphone and external sound-sources like a guitar, cd-player etc.. It has a 16 channel recording facility, meaning you can (if you can play) record track by track up to 16 different instruments to create a full orchestra song.
And yes, polyphony is one MAJOR thing, the higher the number the better it is. 48 is a minimum in my opinion.
But at the end of the day it comes down to money and taste. Better save some money and do the right thing first than be in a short while dissapointed with a cheap keyboard that soon will byte the dust. Have a look on EBAY you might find a good second hand one.
Good luck keyboard hunting

DickR

Reaction score
Hi DickR, could you pls give your opinion on the Casio CTK-6000? I am confused between this keyboard and the Yamaha PSR-423. Which is better?

My sincere thanks,

Reaction score
It can be short, The Casio has more 'gadgets' so you can do a bit more but personally I prefer the sound of the Yamaha's and I always did. You have to play and listen to both. Matter of taste.

Reaction score
Thanks, DickR. I'll try to find a local store which has these keyboards.

I noticed that you also replied in the thread, "163 Free Extra Rhythms for Casio CTK-5000". I've just downloaded these rhythms just in case.

But on the Casio site, it is not clear whether I can use these rhythyms for CTK0-6000. What do you think?

My sincere thanks,

Ask a Question