Yamaha PSR e343 vs PSR i455

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I just purchased a Yamaha PSR e343, and i am quite happy with it. At twice the cost, I have the option of going in for a PSR i455, the immediate advantage being Indian instruments.

I was wondering if there were any other significant advantages and how much was the additional cost really bringing to the table and if i should replace the e343. I only have untill tommorow to decide so any quick replies are much appreciated.

Thank you!

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The PSR-I455 is essentially a customized version of the PSR-E433, so you can start by considering the differences between the PSR-E343 and the PSR-E433. The most significant differences are that the PSR-E433 and PSR-I455 let you modify the attack, release, cutoff, and resonance of the voices so you can make them sound quite different than normal, as well as two knobs with assignable functions and a pitch-bend wheel, whereas the PSR-E343 doesn't have those features. On the other hand, the PSR-E343 has an Auxiliary In jack for plugging in an audio device like an iPod, plus some functions for filtering out a selected frequency range from the incoming audio.

Now add the differences between the PSR-I455 and the PSR-E433. The PSR-I455 has some additional voices and styles for Indian musicians, tabla/tanpura patterns instead of the PSR-E433's DJ patterns, live-control functions for controlling the tabla/tanpura patterns, and (if I remember correctly) the ability to tune the notes of the scale.

So overall, the PSR-I455 would be quite a step up from the PSR-E343, even without the additional features tailored for Indian musicians.

Note that the PSR-E443 (the newer version of the PSR-E433) has some-- but not all-- of the Indian voices that were added on the PSR-I455, as well as the ability to tune the notes of the scale, plus the new Auxiliary In jack and the related functions like the PSR-E343 has. Since the PSR-E443 is probably cheaper than the PSR-I455, it might be a less expensive way to step up from the PSR-E343. However, the PSR-I455 has the tabla/tanpura patterns, so for Indian music the PSR-I455 is probably the better choice.

Reaction score
The PSR-I455 is essentially a customized version of the PSR-E433, so you can start by considering the differences between the PSR-E343 and the PSR-E433. The most significant differences are that the PSR-E433 and PSR-I455 let you modify the attack, release, cutoff, and resonance of the voices so you can make them sound quite different than normal, as well as two knobs with assignable functions and a pitch-bend wheel, whereas the PSR-E343 doesn't have those features. On the other hand, the PSR-E343 has an Auxiliary In jack for plugging in an audio device like an iPod, plus some functions for filtering out a selected frequency range from the incoming audio.

Now add the differences between the PSR-I455 and the PSR-E433. The PSR-I455 has some additional voices and styles for Indian musicians, tabla/tanpura patterns instead of the PSR-E433's DJ patterns, live-control functions for controlling the tabla/tanpura patterns, and (if I remember correctly) the ability to tune the notes of the scale.

So overall, the PSR-I455 would be quite a step up from the PSR-E343, even without the additional features tailored for Indian musicians.

Note that the PSR-E443 (the newer version of the PSR-E433) has some-- but not all-- of the Indian voices that were added on the PSR-I455, as well as the ability to tune the notes of the scale, plus the new Auxiliary In jack and the related functions like the PSR-E343 has. Since the PSR-E443 is probably cheaper than the PSR-I455, it might be a less expensive way to step up from the PSR-E343. However, the PSR-I455 has the tabla/tanpura patterns, so for Indian music the PSR-I455 is probably the better choice.
Thank you for the indepth comparison SeaGtGruff! I'll be switching to the i455 tomorrow. I really appreciate your help.

Ask a Question