Yamaha PSR-E433 and iPad

Reaction score
While re-reading my E433 User's Manual today, I noticed that it stressed that, when connecting the E433 to a computer, it uses the "DEFAULT" driver. I finally realized that it did not mean YAMAHA default driver, but rather, the Windows default USB-MIDI driver. That meant that the E433 is "FULLY CLASS COMPLIANT". That, in turn, meant that it is probably also CORE MIDI (Apple) compliant, and therefore is probably iPad compatible. So, figuring I had nothing to risk but the dreaded "incompatibility" message on the iPad screen, I drug out the iPad and connected them up. Voila ! It worked ! My E433 now has access to a whole new world. Through the iPad's Garage Band app, I have access to all of the Garage Band voices, as well as any other MIDI capable iPad synth app voices. Most importantly, Garage Band provides the E433 with drawbar organ capabilities, complete with 9 realtime drawbars and fast/slow Leslie emulator. It also works with iPad based MIDI sequencer apps that utilize the USB-MIDI interface. So the iPad can make MIDI recordings from the E433 and can use the E433 as a remote sound source. Too bad the E433 does not have a line-in jack for mixing the iPad audio output with the E433's audio output. It works really great with the Yamaha Mobile Sequencer app.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
If you like spending money, Yamaha sells an i-UX1 connector that's rather pricey. However, all you really need is a standard A-to-B USB cable and an iPad Camera Connection Kit. Not only is that a less expensive solution, but you may already have a USB cable that you're using to connect your keyboard to your computer, in which case all you'll need to buy is the iPad Camera Connection Kit, which can usually be found at any store that sells iPads and iPad accessories.

Too bad the E433 does not have a line-in jack for mixing the iPad audio output with the E433's audio output.

The E443 does! :)

Reaction score
Hmmm, wonder if that other poster ever tried his Alesis with the iPad camera connection kit? I'm confident it would have worked, despite his assertions to the contrary.

Ask a Question