Yamaha PSR E433 My first keyboard. HELP

Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my first post on this forum. I've just purchased the Yamaha PSR E433 keyboard and I have a few questions seeing the manual doesn't explain what I need to do. I've never owned a keyboard before but have knowledge about music from playing guitar and bass. Anyway, I bought this keyboard in the interest of making electronic/trance music. I think it is possible but I'm having trouble because I want to make my music from scratch rather than hear premade styles or patterns. Here's my questions.

1. How do I record a simple melody or chord progression or drum beat and make it loop over and over again? For example the basic kick drum of a trance song. I can record the kick drum but it will only record and play for the same amount of bars that I play. The repeat key doesn't seem to do anything and the A-B loop function doesn't loop it either....the song simply ends then starts again after about 8 counts of clicking.

What I want to be able to do is make my own patterns but I can't find how to do this. There's 10 built in patterns and no clear signs showing me if its possible to make my own.
Here's how the patterns work on this keyboard: Select a pattern and press play. There are 5 variations of the pattern and 6 tracks in total to form the drums, bass, chords, melodies, phrases, pads etc. Each track can be turned on or off (more like muting) while the pattern is being played and you can play different voices on the keyboard on top of everything else.
Now this is fine but what if I don't want to use the patterns that came on the keyboard? Can I make my own pattern one track at a time with the drums, bass, chords, etc so I can DJ and play keys on top of it? This is what I want to do with the repeating tracks I wanted to create earlier.

I just want to be able to make my own songs and make loops for instruments I don't have enough hands to play at the same time.

I also don't understand what the Regist Memory is and what its for? Also, I'm not too sure if this Repeat key works or if I'm in the wrong mode to use it. The button is located under the Song mode but when playing a song this button doesn't appear to do anything. The physical button works for the Style and Pattern modes. Can anyone suggest how I can tell if it works or what its purpose is?

I appreciate your help and patience with me.

Reaction score
I am afraid the sequencer (?) in the E433 is just not quite sophisticated enough to do what you are trying to do. I put the question mark after sequencer because of its lack of editing capabilities. Its not really a sequencer at all, but more of a MIDI recorder/player that operates in a straight-forward (linear), non-looping, non-pattern fashion. The LOOP A-B function on the E433 operates in playback only and can not be saved. That is, your loop setting will be lost and have to be reset if you power off the keyboard or if you switch to a different song and then come back to your looped song. I don't think this is quite what you are looking for. The lowest priced unit I can think of that does this type of sequencing is the Casio CTK-7000, but then it lacks the DJ features of the E433. You might do better to explore connecting the E433 to PC based DAW software and do your loop sequencing there. The E433 is a great unit for what it is, but its just not quite up to what you are trying to do.

Registrations are a means of saving keyboard setups (voices, styles, tempos, splits, layers, etc.) for quick call-up at a later time at the press of just one or two buttons. The E433 allows 8 BANKS of 4 REGISTRATIONS each for a total or 32 REGISTRATIONS. Let's say you have a song of verse-1/chorus/verse-2/chorus and you want a grand piano voice for verse-1, a grand piano layered with strings for the first pass of the chorus, an e-piano for verse-2, and an e-piano layered with a synth pad for the second pass of the chorus. There is just not enough time during a live performance to do all that voice switching. So, you set up the keyboard just the way you want it for verse-1 and save it to a registration - say - Bank-2/ Reg-1 - OR for short - REG-21. Then you set up the keyboard the way you want it for the first pass of the chorus and save it to REG-22, and then the same for verse-2 and the second pass of the chorus and save them to REG-23 and REG-24. Now, when you are ready to play your song, you start by selecting BANK-2. You will not need to press the BANK button for the rest of the song. It will stay on BANK-2 unless you change it. Just press the REG-1 button and you are ready for verse-1. At the end of verse-1, press the REG-2 button and you immediately have your voices for the first pass of the chorus, and so on for the rest of the song. So,basically, registrations allow you to immediately call-up several minutes worth of setup at the mere touch of a button. If 32 registrations are not enough for you, you can save each 8-by-4 set to a USB flash drive for any number of sets.

Reaction score
Very helpful, Ted. I have a different (but related) question. How can I change voices on-the-fly during a performance? I'm using a YPG535/DGX530. Changing Registrations changes all of the basic settings. But I need a new voice to go with the same style, rhythm, tempo.

Ask a Question