Yamaha PSR-E473 Screen Defective

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I looked at one of these keyboards in a music retailer yesterday (3-26-23), and the display looked to be an upgrade from what I see in photos of this model online. Perhaps Yamaha has replaced the sometimes faulty display with a slightly better one? The instrument I looked at had a white screen, not blue as in photos I see online, and it was easy to read, though small. Looked like it might have higher resolution than what I see in photos.

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I looked at one of these keyboards in a music retailer yesterday (3-26-23), and the display looked to be an upgrade from what I see in photos of this model online. Perhaps Yamaha has replaced the sometimes faulty display with a slightly better one? The instrument I looked at had a white screen, not blue as in photos I see online, and it was easy to read, though small. Looked like it might have higher resolution than what I see in photos.
Update, I just bought a new psr e473 from Sweetwater. It has the blue display, and based on just turning it on for a couple of minutes, the display is poor quality and hard to read (though not completely disfunctional). I need to examine it again and may contact Sweetwater about it, though I dread having to ship it back to them etc.

Reaction score
Update, I just bought a new psr e473 from Sweetwater. It has the blue display, and based on just turning it on for a couple of minutes, the display is poor quality and hard to read (though not completely disfunctional). I need to examine it again and may contact Sweetwater about it, though I dread having to ship it back to them etc.
For a few dollars more - upgrade to the EW-425 - it has that brand new Yamaha Grand piano tone (#2) that the E473 doesn't have. A few perimeter tweaks and it's like you're playing a Steinway & Sons grand piano in a concert hall. Seriously.

Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestion. Not appealing to me. Prefer the smaller, lighter weight of 61 key version, that it takes AA batteries vs. D batteries. And piano sound in 473 is plenty good enough for me. Plus don't want to spend the extra money. I'm going to contact Sweetwater and try to get them to replace the one I bought, which does have a defective display right out of the box. I just phoned the Canadian store where I saw one with what looked to be an upgraded display, and they are going to tell me the serial number and production date (if that's on the label) on the box their floor display. Then I can see if Sweetwater has any similar in stock. Irksome, all Yamaha's fault,
not the stores that sell their keyboards.

Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestion. Not appealing to me. Prefer the smaller, lighter weight of 61 key version, that it takes AA batteries vs. D batteries. And piano sound in 473 is plenty good enough for me. Plus don't want to spend the extra money. I'm going to contact Sweetwater and try to get them to replace the one I bought, which does have a defective display right out of the box. I just phoned the Canadian store where I saw one with what looked to be an upgraded display, and they are going to tell me the serial number and production date (if that's on the label) on the box their floor display. Then I can see if Sweetwater has any similar in stock. Irksome, all Yamaha's fault,
not the stores that sell their keyboards.
All my other electronic keyboards (Casio CTK7000, Korg EK50, Roland Fantom X6) and a few others are 61 key - only this EW 425 is 73 - wish this new Yamaha piano tone came in the the E473 - I would have bought it instead. But it doesn't - and it's that good - to spend the extra $100 and a 3 pounds heavier.

Ask a Question