Yamaha PSR-S900 Multi Track Recording Sequencer Mode

Reaction score
I've gone through the forum and have not found anyone asking this, so here goes. My question is can more than four or all of the 16 available tracks, record individual voice preset sounds across the full keyboard on each track in the "Multi Track Recording" mode? The manual is a bit vague as it says "normally" tracks 1-4 are for this purpose, and then 5-8 for Multi Pads and 9-16 for the style related stuff. Can tracks 5-16 be configured to be used with individual voice presets, or are they hard wired to do specified things like pads and style only?

I'm wanting a keyboard that is quick to assign a voice preset to a track, and then hit record and go within seconds. I want to be able to do this with as many tracks as possible. Many years ago near when I first started, I had a PSS-790 in 1990 and I could use seven of the eight tracks in any way I chose pretty much. I could turn on the power and have a full song recorded in just a few minutes. Doing this with many workstation keyboards or computer seqencers, take a lot of preparation before you can get anywhere near the recording button. This kills instant spontaneous recording, because the idea is gone while you are messing around configuring the keyboard etc. I've looked at heaven knows how many models of PSR, and the E463 or EW410 look like they might do what I need, although they only have five melody tracks and 19000 note memory.

Thanks for any help or tips.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
First of all, I'm doubtful that the PSR-E models would be able to do what it sounds like you're wanting to do.

The PSR-S models have much more sophisticated song-recording functions, and if I understand what I think you're wanting to do, I think you should be able to on a PSR-S. However, it might depend on what options you choose when you're recording.

I have no experience with any PSR-S models, but I believe the information about which song channels are used for multi pads and styles is only pertinent if you're actually recording with multi pads and styles.

If you aren't using either of those features, I think you should be able to record the keyboard to any one of the 16 song channels.

I recommend that you download and read the Reference Manual for whichever PSR-S model you're interested in, because the Reference Manuals go into more detail than the User Manuals do.

Reaction score
In the end I opted to get a Yamaha QS300 two weeks ago, and I have replaced the backlight and added a Gotek floppy emulator with large colour display / rotary encoder. This meets my list of criteria minus the onboard speakers and drum pads, which I have added separately.

Ask a Question