Yamaha PSR/Tyros MIDI

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I recently started using ezdrummer 2. I tried converting exported MIDI files from the software to a Yamaha style but as it is single channel MIDI I failed to do so on midi2style software. Is there any way to use the MIDI file to trigger the keyboard so I could set the keyboard in style creator mode and have the MIDI file trigger the keys, thereby recording the keystrokes as a style?

Thanks

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
To be honest, I don't know whether or not you can do that.

Depending on which line your model belongs to (PSR-E, PSR-S, Tyros, etc.), you might be able to assign a MIDI song channel to control the style. PSR-S and Tyros models can do that, but PSR-E models can't.

But I don't know if you can record a style from a song file that's playing.

One possible suggestion is to load the MIDI song file into your keyboard and use the Song Creator to add more channels to it. I don't think you need any Note events, but if you do, just add any note you please to each track. Then save the updated MIDI file.

After that you can load the updated file into midi2style and try making a style file from it. If the issue before was the number of channels in the file, you should be able to work with it once it has enough channels.

I was going to fiddle around in midi2style to see what I could figure out, but apparently I need to reinstall Java first. Once I've worked out my Java issues, I'll try using a 1-channel MIDI file with midi2style to see how it works.

Reaction score
To be honest, I don't know whether or not you can do that.

Depending on which line your model belongs to (PSR-E, PSR-S, Tyros, etc.), you might be able to assign a MIDI song channel to control the style. PSR-S and Tyros models can do that, but PSR-E models can't.

But I don't know if you can record a style from a song file that's playing.

One possible suggestion is to load the MIDI song file into your keyboard and use the Song Creator to add more channels to it. I don't think you need any Note events, but if you do, just add any note you please to each track. Then save the updated MIDI file.

After that you can load the updated file into midi2style and try making a style file from it. If the issue before was the number of channels in the file, you should be able to work with it once it has enough channels.

I was going to fiddle around in midi2style to see what I could figure out, but apparently I need to reinstall Java first. Once I've worked out my Java issues, I'll try using a 1-channel MIDI file with midi2style to see how it works.

Thanks for the reply.

Thanks for fiddling with midi2style.

On another note, since I have access to two Yamaha arrangers (a PSR-S and a Tyros) do you think it would work to hook the two up via MIDI, play the MIDI song on one and send the playback to MIDI channel 1 on the other keyboard? Then it would, in effect, be like controlling the top keyboard with a controller. But I don't know if you can rout MIDI as you please on these models. I hope that makes sense.

Thanks again

tim

Reaction score
I've got an idea. Can you import the MIDI file to your keyboard from the computer, record on top of it with bass/guitar etc, save that MIDI file, import it into Midi2Style and go from there? I've tried using Midi2Style, but only once. It was complicated, and I never needed it again.

EDIT: looks like I misread SeaGtGruff's post. I think he is saying the same thing.

Reaction score
Also I have no idea why a single-channel file won't convert. Perhaps the file exported from EZDrummer is set to "Omni" instead of channel one? I have no experience with EZDrummer, but is that possible? Maybe it can be changed in the export options?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Yes, you should be able to control the Tyros with the PSR-S, or vice versa. To do that, go into the MIDI Receive settings on the one you want to control (the "slave"), pick whichever MIDI channel you're going to use, and assign it to control the style. Look in the Reference Manual (not the Owner's Manual) in the section on MIDI settings. You'll also want to go into the MIDI Send settings on the keyboard you want to use as the controller (the "master") and set up the same MIDI channel to transmit whichever keyboard part (Left, Right1, etc.) you want to use to control the style.

Reaction score
I've got an idea. Can you import the MIDI file to your keyboard from the computer, record on top of it with bass/guitar etc, save that MIDI file, import it into Midi2Style and go from there? I've tried using Midi2Style, but only once. It was complicated, and I never needed it again.

EDIT: looks like I misread SeaGtGruff's post. I think he is saying the same thing.

Recording onto another channel on top? Is that what you mean?

Reaction score
Also I have no idea why a single-channel file won't convert. Perhaps the file exported from EZDrummer is set to "Omni" instead of channel one? I have no experience with EZDrummer, but is that possible? Maybe it can be changed in the export options?
For some reason I could not assign it to the drum part. Could just be me completely missing something...

Reaction score
Recording onto another channel on top? Is that what you mean?
I meant on the keyboard, select the file, and press "play" so that it is in the buffer, then record another track to the file, like piano, etc. Save the file, and then when you play it back there should be at least two tracks. Then export it. Does that make sense? I can record a video of what I am talking about if you need me to. However I am using an older CVP clavinova. The steps should be the same though. What model are you using?

Reaction score
The problem is that the converter won't let me treat channel 1 as "rhythm main". I've also found this to be an issue on MIDI files where the drum part is on channel 10, which is what seems to be the most usual for drum parts. It would only sometimes work with those.

Reaction score
I meant on the keyboard, select the file, and press "play" so that it is in the buffer, then record another track to the file, like piano, etc. Save the file, and then when you play it back there should be at least two tracks. Then export it. Does that make sense? I can record a video of what I am talking about if you need me to. However I am using an older CVP clavinova. The steps should be the same though. What model are you using?
I don't think that would work since the drum part would still be on channel 1 - which is an issue I explained in my last post before this one.

Reaction score
Hello there. New to this channel and also to MIDI issues.
Not quite sure if this issue is suitable to here ? Please advice if not so what would be the best address.

I have Tyros 5 and FCB1010 switch board and trying to
A) understand how to utilize MIDI (interesting)
B) get the FCB1010 ten buttons to send selected functions to (list attached) to FCB1010 10 memory banks

A) reading/learning going on
B) FVB1010 UnO control center prog in Mac and what buzzing me which commands / values I should give weather note-PC-CC to each button and from where to find them?

In Tyros 5 reference manual and in Tyros it self I find the Templane for yamaha own foot control Mfc10. There are the keys C#-1 ...etc and my desired functions can be selected and the set of ten can be send to pedal. Simple sounding.
- Can they be used for FCB1010 too?
- How should the foot control settings be set at the same template?
- should I set the Midi transmit and Receive tables somehow?
- Are the selected command midi values visible somewhere in Tyros?
- If not possible to set that MFC10 template where I found those functions values and commands to program them directly via Mac to FCB1010

Lots of trying and errors back and some underfunding to Midi already but not working yet.
Would love to find solution .

Cheers William Finland, 71y

Down the functions possible in the MFC10 template

Target functions to pedal 10 at the time for few memory banks The red ones I have tried till now
ARTICULATION 1/2
VOLUME*
SUSTAIN
SOSTENUTO
SOFT
GLIDE
PORTAMENTO
PITCH BEND*
MODULATION*
MODULATION (AL
DSP VARIATION
PEDAL CONTROL (WAH)