Yamaha PSRE400W to ALESIS SR18

Reaction score
Hi all, would like to midi my Yamaha PSRE400W to my ALESIS SR18 to drive the drum beats, but the Yamaha doesn't have the good 'ol 5 pin din for midi out, just the more modern usb and the smaller type usb, but the Alesis has the 5 pin din midi in/out.
I believe it can be done via my desktop using my DAW which is mixcraft 8 Pro, but I would like to use them on the road, without the need of a computer. Even then, the Alesis would have to be connected via one of those hit and miss usb to din cables, which I have, but dont really like as they can be a bit suss. Any ideas would be great. Many thanks.

Reaction score
Probably answering my own question here, but I think a iConnectivity Mio 2 would do the trick? Had a look at their web site, and it seems to cover my needs, but would just like a second opinion before purchasing.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Last edited:
Reaction score
I think that some of the iConnectivity interfaces will work, but not all of them-- look for the ones that mention having a "USB host" connection.

You can also use a Kenton MIDI USB Host: http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/utilities/usb-host.shtml
If you're in the US, it's surrently on sale from this site: https://www.perfectcircuitaudio.com/kenton-midi-usb-host-mkii.html

Hi all, would like to midi my Yamaha PSRE400W to my ALESIS SR18 to drive the drum beats, but the Yamaha doesn't have the good 'ol 5 pin din for midi out, just the more modern usb and the smaller type usb, but the Alesis has the 5 pin din midi in/out.
I believe it can be done via my desktop using my DAW which is mixcraft 8 Pro, but I would like to use them on the road, without the need of a computer. Even then, the Alesis would have to be connected via one of those hit and miss usb to din cables, which I have, but dont really like as they can be a bit suss. Any ideas would be great. Many thanks.

Reaction score
Found a device from the UK, Hobbytronics has a little unit called a midi convertor which accepts usb and 5pin din devices and lets them communicate without a computer in sight. At around 36 pounds UK it is a lot cheaper than the Kenton and iConnectivity devices for doing the same job. Just letting people know that it is available if they need to do what I am doing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question