Yamaha S90 Sax sounds

Reaction score
Hi,
Have a Yamaha S90 and need the sound of the Clarence Clemens tenor sax solo in Born to Run.

Suggestions?
Thanks
Pat

Reaction score
Pat, I have an S80 , Motif ES, and (2) MOXF and I do a good bit of horns on keys. (I was a sax player in years past). Clarence uses the "growl" very frequently in his solo playing, and that growl is generated by player technique. None of my Yamaha boards prior to the MOXF have a sax that could simulate a sax growl. The S90 is also lacking in the sax department (no insult intended). The MOXF actually has a sound called "Tenor growl" with the growl being a seperate sample that is controlled by an assignable function button. It takes two hands to work the patch effectively......That is hardly worth running out and buying one for one song. I have a breath controller that probably could be set-up to bring in the growl, but it really isn't worth the time and extra cost. That said, I personally would just play the solo with a good voice (maybe a synth, or poly brass, etc) on the S90 and throw in a bit of mod wheel/pitch wheel articulation. If you want an excuse to buy some new gear, see if a Guitar Center near you has a used MOXF6 (61 key) and go check it out. Don aka B3maniac

Reaction score
Thanks Don. That seems like good advice before I go through all that trouble.
I’ll play around with some of the other sounds and see if I can come up with something mildly suitable, short of learning to play the sax, which isn’t going to happen.
Pat

Reaction score
Thanks Don. That seems like good advice before I go through all that trouble.
I’ll play around with some of the other sounds and see if I can come up with something mildly suitable, short of learning to play the sax, which isn’t going to happen.
Pat
I even looked into the Roland Aerophone AE-01. Interesting little instrument but most of the reviews said it’s basically a toy for $400

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
While you're looking at wind instruments, take a look at the Akai EWI USB.

It's a very reasonably priced Wind Controller from Akai that can play any VST instrument you have in your arsenal. You're only limited by your software budget.

Ignore the bad battery reviews on Amazon. Those refer to the $800 EWI professional, NOT the $300 USB version which to my knowledge has no battery. Amazon really has a flaky policy regarding reviews allowing reviews from SIMILAR products on multiple web pages simultaneously.

Any toylike sounds coming out of it will be the responsibility of the player, not the instrument. :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Last edited:

Ask a Question