Yamaha USB

Reaction score
More of a question/comment to Yamaha...

I've been taking a good hard look at a variety of your products, from entry-level to pro-level, and I have to ask... are you ever going to make the move to USB 2.0? USB 1.1 is, like, so 20th century.

But then the USB 3.0 spec was released a mere two weeks ago. Maybe you plan to beat the competition to the punch in flood of USB 3.0 conumer products expected to hit the shelves sometime in 2010?

Not that USB 1.1 is a deal-breaker by any means. At least you support General MIDI! ;)

Reaction score
USB 1.0 is significantly faster than MIDI, so if all you're transferring to and from your keyboard is MIDI data, USB 1.0 is sufficient and possibly cheaper or easier for Yamaha to implement.

Reaction score
Yeah, USB 1.1 should be plenty fast enough. I just think it's odd Yamaha doesn't use USB 2.0 on their keyboards that support external "large" capacity storage (like a hard drive). Sure MIDI files tend to be small, but toss in saving all keyboard settings, and time adds up. Formatting a large drive is sure going to eat up some time, though hopefully that's a rare event! LOL

If nothing else, their competition is using USB 2.0. What can I say, I'm coming at this from the computer geek's point of view! :D

Ask a Question