Yamaha XS Motif or Roland JP8000?

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm stuck on whether to buy a Yamaha XS Motif or a Roland JP8000. I'm looking for one that can produce 80's synth sounds like Psychedelic Furs, New Order, Depeche Mode, A Flock of Seagulls, etc.

What is the difference between the two keyboards? Which is better and why?

This is also going to be my first electronic keyboard. I have no previous experience with them but I catch on really quick, because I have a lot of musical knowledge (I play guitar, bass, and drums and have been for 6 years). I have a grand piano at home that sounds nice and I wish to create some nice 80's tunes with an electronic one. I need one that sounds nice, not with cheap sounding voices.

Also, is it better to purchase a keyboard ACTUALLY from the 80s (cheaper price too) or not?? what are the pros and cons of that?

Any and all advice/ pointers welcome.

The Y_man

Reaction score
Can't compare the 2 - they are 2 totally different propositions.

One is an 8 voice "pure" synth

The other is a 128 voice "all in one" workstation (drum patterns, backing band, sequencer, etc etc )

As to buying something from the 80's - I have found my 80's gear have pretty much died from electronic components going and or internal batteries running flat (some of which are soldered in).... I'll give you a Juno 106 for free if you want to come and pick it up :D (has a slightly funny DCO that stays on very quielty - barely noticeable)

The Y-man

Reaction score
Can't compare the 2 - they are 2 totally different propositions.

One is an 8 voice "pure" synth

The other is a 128 voice "all in one" workstation (drum patterns, backing band, sequencer, etc etc )

As to buying something from the 80's - I have found my 80's gear have pretty much died from electronic components going and or internal batteries running flat (some of which are soldered in).... I'll give you a Juno 106 for free if you want to come and pick it up :D (has a slightly funny DCO that stays on very quielty - barely noticeable)

The Y-man
Oh wow, didn't know they were different. Thanks for letting me know! Which one is the "pure" synth? I think I'll be better off with that considering I'm not going to make any drum beats or anything else. I'm more just into the synth.
Also, do they both have some type of way to save tracks? Maybe onto a USB or a Rec. Out port?

And thank you for the free offer, but sadly I am in the United States as you are in Australia :( I would have loved that keyboard! thank you though :)

Ask a Question