Yamaha yc61

Reaction score
I’ve watched a lot of videos for the Yamaha yc61 and like the keyboard a lot. However, a friend of mine bought the Yamaha mx61 and I was very impressed with that as well. The MX also has keyboard sounds that sound almost identical ( both use motif ? ).
The YC61 is three times the price; outside of its flashy outboard cosmetics, I was not able to discern an appreciable difference. Can anyone enlighten me as to why the YC61 is 3x the price ?
Thank you

Reaction score
Dial 1-800-Yamaha and ask them.

Without understanding the feature sets of both keyboards it would be difficult to understand that. They may also have employed new technology for sound generation; if so somebody has to pay for that. Even if all of those things mentioned are understood the buyer has to self-evaluate whether the price is warranted.

Reaction score
* Dedicated modeled organ engine with 9-drawbar control, as opposed to the sampled organ sounds in the MX
* Better feeling action (could be subjective)
* FM sound engine used to produce some of the sounds (all MX sounds are sample based)
* Better, more informative display (displays more content)
* Lots more real-time controls for patch creation and manipulation
* More "professional" rugged build (metal chassis instead of plastic, internal power supply instead of wall wart)

Reaction score
FWIW - My impression of the Yamaha MX series is that they are a budget series of keyboards. Under direct comparison
to the next price range Yamaha boards, the MX series audio quality and keybed is lacking. The YC61 is much better
build quality plus has dedicated organs controls. If you like the YC61, you would likely regret getting a MX. Good luck!
Don aka B3maniac

Reaction score
I just purchased the YC88 a month ago and am absolutely thrilled with it. It's brilliant all the way around. The sounds are excellent, the navigation and setup for live sound changes and effects is excellent. And the organ is the best I've heard from anything other than a real Hammond hooked up to a Leslie speaker. I'd highly recommend the YC61 if you can afford it.

Reaction score
I bought a YC-61 without trying it beforehand. I’m thrilled with it, but in ways I was surprised about. The sound of it is very good,, and I’m still learning the navigation and editing tricks. What has blown me away is how fantastic the keyboard feel is and what a joy it is to play. The organ section is outstanding, but it took some tweaking to get the Leslie effect dialed in. The piano and other keyboard sounds are amazing, although the navigation isn’t very logical. The build quality is incredible-all the knobs, switches and controls feel tank like. Would I buy it again? Absolutely

Reaction score
I have the YC61 and like some others, I bought it site-unseen, but without a doubt, it is one fantastic keyboard. Solid build, great organ-type action, all the sounds you could want, but most wonderful of all are the organically created organ sounds with drawbars. It's easy to use and to set up, a real dream machine.

Ask a Question