Yamaha ypg-225 in stereo

Reaction score
Hi. I'm new to the forums and just got a Yamaha ypg-225 keyboard. I'm fairly happy with it, but when I play it with headphones in, I only get sound coming out of one of the headphone speakers (I tested the speakers and both work fine when plugged into my stereo)

How do I get my keyboard to play sound in stereo. The manual doesn't seem to have a section on this. Any helpful replies would be appreciated.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It sounds like it's a defective keyboard. Did you buy it new or used?

Check your manual to see if there's a "Factory Reset" or "Initialize" setting in there somewhere.

If the problem persists after a factory reset then it's definitely a hardware fault and needs repair.

If it's still under warranty contact Yamaha support for a repair.

Gary

Reaction score
It's not under warranty... I got it off craigslist. As far as repairing it out of pocket, should I bother doing that or just invest in a new keyboard (the price of this keyboard new is only $200.)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It's probably just a loose or cracked solder joint or cracked headphone jack. They use cheap PCB mounted ones on most keyboards these days.

If you have balls of steel and don't mind cracking it open you could probably fix it yourself for under $10.

Or if you want it repaired on the cheap, don't take it to a music shop. Keyboard repair guys hit you for $150 the second you walk in the door.

Try taking it to a general service electronic or computer tech and see how much he'd fix it for. A good Mom and Pop computer shop tech could probably repair it for around $75 - $100.

If you're up to doing it yourself, youtube has a bunch of DIY keyboard repair videos than can give you a good idea of what you need to do.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ypg+225+repair&page=&utm_source=opensearch

Gary

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I agree that it sounds like a hardware issue, but you didn't say whether the keyboard plays in stereo when the headphones aren't plugged in. The keyboard has "Pan" settings for the three Voices-- Main, Dual, and Split-- that let you adjust a Voice's Pan or stereo position from full left (Pan = 0) to full right (Pan = 127). I recommend that you go to the Functions menu, navigate to the Main Pan function, and fiddle with that setting-- both with and without the headphones plugged in-- to see if you get sound out of both the left and right speakers. For instance, if the keyboard's speakers are working fine, but not the headphone's, that would seem to point to a problem with the headphone jack.

By the way, are you using any kind of adapter with the headphones? The two Yamaha keyboards that I own have the older, larger size headphone jacks, but the Skullcandy headphones I bought have the newer, smaller size plug, so I had to buy an adapter. If you're using an adapter as well, it could be that the problem is with the adapter.

If it turns out to be the keyboard that's the problem, that might be one of the reasons why the previous owner decided to sell it. Have you asked them about it?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Misconfigured settings like Pan are the reason why I suggested he do a factory reset first of all.

Also I believe that Yamahas tend to use the Headphone Out as a dual Line Out setting with an impedance adjustment in the software menus for whether or not you are driving a Line Level 10 Kohm output impedance or a headphone with about 50 Ohms.

It's would be very easy for the previous owner to overlook that setting and blow out the driver transistor by using it with one or the other on the wrong settings.

Either way whether it's a cracked jack or solder joint or a blown output transistor it would be a trivial fix for any competent audio tech.

Gary

Last edited:

Ask a Question