Yamaha YPG 235

Reaction score
Hello every one, I joined this forum because I´m back on the keyboard after 20 years of not playing a single key, and things have changed.... I want to add a voice or style to my keyboard, It isContinental Vox loop.

I hope I can find help from one of you guys, really It has been hours and hours on the internet trying to find how to do it (well...I think I now how, I have the cable and the manual no problem with the procedure). What I need to know is what file extension works with my keyboard and where to get them, really I´ve spent hours searching files and everything I´m frsutrated since I want to play the Light my Fire song with the correct style, thanks in advance for your help.

Good Day.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums, Daniel!

The YPG-235 requires style files to have the .STY extension, otherwise it won't recognize that they're style files. The procedure for loading a style file is described on page 67 of the owner's manual.

Song files-- also referred to as SMFs (Standard MIDI Files)-- need to have the .MID extension and must be either format 0 or format 1 MIDI files. The procedure for connecting to a computer and transferring a song file is described on pages 79-84.

I'm guessing that you probably already know the preceding information, but I've mentioned it anyway just to make sure. :)

If you're trying to add a new voice (sound samples) to your keyboard, there's no provision for doing that on the YPG-235; you're limited to using its built-in voices.

However, the YPG-235 is XGlite-compatible, so it responds to MIDI CC (Control Change) messages that can be used to modify several parameters for each voice-- e.g., attack/release and cutoff/resonance-- which lets you create "new sounds" using the built-in voices.

There are utilities available from PSR Tutorial (http://psrtutorial.com/index.html) and The Unofficial Yamaha Keyboard Resource Site (http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/index.htm) that let you convert newer style files to older formats if necessary, and make detailed changes to the voices used for each track of a style.

Additionally, if you're willing to play the keyboard while it's connected to a computer, you can use a DAW or other MIDI software to send some of the MIDI channels to VST instruments, thereby letting you use voices that your keyboard doesn't have.

So you've got some options available, depending on what you're specifically wanting to accomplish.

Reaction score
Hey SeaGtruff, sorry for the very late reply, 5 Years lol... I appreciate you took the time to reply. At that time I gave up and did not see you reply. Today I wanted yo give it a try, while searching I found this post and said: Wow this guy is looking for the same thing I need. And it was my own post. funny as hell. I found the answer thanks to you. IT is time to upgrade. Regards.

Ask a Question