Yamaha YPG-625 Key Release Noise

Reaction score
First off, I am a beginning keyboard player. So obviously my experience is limited (hence, my reliance of the expertise of some of you well-seasoned musicians). I acquired a used Yamaha YPG-625 digital keyboard. I noticed that ALL of the keys have a loud, irritating "cluck" when they are released & return to their original position. My initial assumption was that the felt cushion had become worn & needed replacing. However, that seems rather unlikely since all of the keys exhibit the same problem.

So my question is: Is this a characteristic of this particular model of keyboard? I realize that all keyboards with weighted keys will have a certain amount of noise when released. But this seems excessive. My follow-up question would be: if this is indeed an unfortunate characteristic of this model of keyboard, is there possibly a remedy to soften the noise? For example, could the factory-installed felt cushion be replaced with an alternative cusioning material?

Thank you so much for your input. Very much appreciated.

Kit

Reaction score
I had one of those for 10 years, and mostly enjoyed it. Sounds are hard to describe and I dunno if it was the same as your cluck, but my keybed got noisy. I describe it more as clackity. I did not like it, in fact it's one reason I bought a Roland to replace it.

Reaction score
Based on the symptom I described in my original post, it seems that the most logical culprit is the upper felt strip against which the keys strike when they are released. Since the keyboard could be up to 17 years old, the felt could have been worn (or deteriorated) over time. So I ordered a new upper felt (and a lower felt, as well) from Yamaha. While I have the keyboard apart, I can see if there is something else causing the issue. In fact, if anyone has any suggestion as to things to look for, I would certainly appreciate it.

Ask a Question