Yamaha YPT-320 decision.

Reaction score
After searching the many threads I have not been lucky to find any info on the keyboard listed in the heading above.
This is a preloved instrument for sale in a local pawn shop. I think it is about 2005 or 2006 vintage. It would make a nice improvement on my Casio SA-65. Any hints or tips or thoughts will be greatly appreciated. I know it does not have usb connections but that is not a big priority for me. Jim.

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If you're buying used, test each and every button and key to make certain they all work as specified.

Also bring along a set of good headphones to test the headphone jack.

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
It's from 2008 or 2009-- the MIDI chart in the Data List says June 30, 2008, which means it probably wasn't introduced to the marketplace until the end of 2008 or more likely the first quarter of 2009.

The YPT-320 is the same as the PSR-E323. It should have a pretty good selection of sounds and a touch sensitive keyboard, so if the price is nice and if it has no malfunctions then it should be a nice improvement indeed over the SA-65.

As you said, it doesn't have a USB-to-Host port, but you can connect it to a computer using a MIDI-to-USB cable/adapter. That would let you do things the keyboard is capable of but which aren't provided through its panel controls-- e.g., change the attack/release times of the sounds, or the cutoff/resonance of the filter, as well as bend notes as on a guitar, or add modulation to the sounds. :)

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
By the way, if the pawn shop doesn't have the manuals that came with it, you can get them in PDF format from Yamaha's web site. In fact, it's a good idea to get the PDF files anyway, because it's a lot easier to find something in the manual by searching for a word or phrase in the PDF file. Also, if you're comfortable working on electrical appliances yourself, or know someone who is, the Service Manual is on the ElektroTanya web site-- if it doesn't show up after searching for YPT-320 then search for PSR-E323 instead.

Reaction score
Thank you Michael for your tips and advice. I am now a pre-loved Yamaha YPT-320 owner.
The brain cells will need a big heat sink to keep them cool for quite a while. Jim

Reaction score
'Tis just an update. Yamaha have many features hidden within the Function button depending upon the number of times it is pressed. I am still learning my way around the YPT-320 and working on the arthritic knuckles via the keyboard at the same time. Brain and finger manipulation is a bonus. Gotta luv it. Jim

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I assume that (as on my PSR-E and YPT keyboards) pressing the FUNCTION button takes you back to whichever function you last accessed in the menu-- unless you've just turned on the keyboard, in which case it takes you to the first function in the menu. Since the YPT-320 has 34 functions in its menu, you might have to press the FUNCTION button anywhere from one to 34 times to get to a particular function.

However, there's a way to jump directly to specific functions in the menu, although you can't jump to any function you want. Some buttons take you to specific functions in the menu, so you can press-- or, if applicable, press and hold-- whichever button will take you to the function that's nearest to the one you want, then proceed from there until you reach the function you want.

For instance, the Main Voice Volume or M.Volume function is two functions after the Touch Sensitivity or TouchSns function. Rather than pressing the FUNCTION button over and over again until you get to M.Volume, you can press and hold the TOUCH button to go directly to the TouchSns function, then press the FUNCTION button twice to advance to the M.Volume function.

By the way, I don't see anything in the PSR-E323/YPT-320 Owner's Manual about going backward in the menu, but it's possible on the PSR-E333/YPT-330: "You can also decrease the Function number by one when you press the [-] button briefly while holding down the [FUNCTION] button." You might want to try that and see if it works.

Reaction score
Thank you Michael for your reply. I am fortunate that there is a function setting listing of the 34 items on pages 56 and 57 in the manual which you guided me to earlier in the month. Again many thanks.
I think the YPT xxx would fall under the Arranger category. Jim.

Ask a Question