YamahaPSR E453 playing 6th chords

Reaction score
The user manual for this keybord contains a chord chart for what I am assuming is for all playable chords on this keyboard. I do not see any diagram for the E6 chord (or for that matter no 6th chords for any key). I am using the keyboard with default split point and auto accompanment.
anyone know how to play an E6 chord on the 453? It is one of the chords in Johnny Nash' s I Can See Clearly Now song in the bridge part. The song is written in the key of D.
thanks

Reaction score
Welcome

It depends upon how you are using your keyboard.

E series have the ability to play a triad that is a three note chord with one finger, chords with four notes use a combinations of fingers. I have never used the simplified chord system but know of it from other posts..

If you are playing chords without aids and want to look up a chord this website will help

9200AA23-CE1B-46F7-9159-24FC126EA6F2.jpeg

Now look at the image, notice the number of unplayed keys between the played keys.

This is also the same for all Major Chords, do also look at inversions as one of them may be easier fingering and again inversions applies to all.

Try this again by selecting a minor chord and the same principle applies.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I would just play it as E7.
Hardly any difference in sound between E7 and E6 unless you are a perfectionist.

Play E7 with just 3 keys . . Yamaha E453 will recognise it.

Easy way is inversion left hand thumb on E2 and D2 together and index finger on G# 1.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Before everyone starts bouncing on me, please let me clarify what I said.
E7 and E6 do indeed sound different. What I meant to say was that the difference between the two chords in that tune by Nash would be insignifcant.
If the tune was a ballad or orchestral score then certainly I would be pursuing to learn to play the E6.
However it is quite a rare chord and rarely used in all the tunes I play.

Reaction score
Agree with you, if someone has to be told how to play an E6 then the difference between E6 and an E7 is probably diminimus. Might as well just play a straight E. Hell, might as well just play an open E so we don't have to distinguish E maj from E min. Hell, just play the E single note and be done with it......

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I think perhaps the OP's issue/question was not specifically about how to play an E6 chord, but about whether or not the keyboard's auto-accompaniment feature recognizes 6th chords. As most of you probably know, a style or auto accompaniment can consist of several parts-- on a Yamaha, they are typically Rhythm 1, Rhythm 2, Bass, Chord 1, Chord 2, Pad, Phrase 1, and Phrase 2-- and the chord that you play in the auto accompaniment zone determines the notes which will be played for most of these parts, so the question of whether or not the keyboard can recognize 6th chords is quite valid.

As I said, the keyboard does recognize 6th chords, and the owner's manuals for earlier models in the PSR-E4xx line did include a more complete list and diagram of the chords which are recognized, but for some reason Yamaha apparently decided to drop that information from the owner's manuals of later PSR-E4xx models, and this could very well lead owners to conclude that the more advanced chords are not recognized by the auto accompaniments.

Actually, the issue is a bit more complex than that, because Yamaha's SFF styles can be programmed such that only specific musical keys and/or types of chords will be recognized. Thus, even though the keyboard has the ability to recognize 6th chords, specific style files might be programmed to not recognize them as such and to respond to them as though they were some other type of chord. However, I suspect that most if not all of the built-in styles are programmed to recognize the full list of musical keys and chord types, given that they're intended to be flexible enough to be useful for playing a wide variety of compositions. But style files which were created for playing some specific song might conceivably be programmed to recognize a more narrow list of musical keys and chord types, presumably to make it easier for the performer to play the auto accompaniment correctly without having some unintended misfingering produce an undesired result.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
By the way, the list and diagram in the older manual that I linked to shows which keys can be omitted when playing chords to control the auto accompaniments; those optional keys are shown with parentheses around them. For a 6th chord, playing the root, 5th, and M6th notes will be recognized as a 6th chord; the M3 note can be omitted. But for a minor 6th chord you'll to include the m3 key so the keyboard will realize that you want a minor 6th chord rather than a 6th chord.

Reaction score
The user manual for this keybord contains a chord chart for what I am assuming is for all playable chords on this keyboard. I do not see any diagram for the E6 chord (or for that matter no 6th chords for any key). I am using the keyboard with default split point and auto accompanment.
anyone know how to play an E6 chord on the 453? It is one of the chords in Johnny Nash' s I Can See Clearly Now song in the bridge part. The song is written in the key of D.
thanks
Thank you to all that replied to this post. Thanks to all of you I now have it sorted out. In my old age, I simply forgot the basics of building chords.

Ask a Question