Yamaha's don't remember octave in saved Performance?

Reaction score
Just bought the MX49, my first Yamaha keyboard, and began saving Performances with splits, layers, and noteshifts in preparation for a gig. Going from Performance to Performance, I discover that the octave does not change with a new Performance! So I risk beginning a song wrong because the saved Performance will be in a different octave. WHAT?! I contact Yamaha tech support and I'm told that's the way it's designed, and my only option is to use Noteshift on EACH SAVED PERFORMANCE, or remember the octave setting I want for each performance and change it on the fly. First off, I'm already using Noteshift when the octave range of one of the Parts needs to be different than where it splits from the other Part. Secondly, every other keyboard I've owned would save the chosen octave with the rest of the parameters on a saved performance. The whole point of saving performances is to creat a set of sound settings to call up quickly according to the setlist, and be ready to go. I'M NOT HAPPY.

Reaction score
Lol I suppose I did shout a bit, and this being my first post to the forum I'm doubtless made a stellar first impression. But seriously, this seems a major flaw in the operation of a keyboard intended for performance. Are all Yamahas the same in this regard?

Reaction score
1) Your topic title is misleading. It's not Yamaha's don't remember octave in saved performance, it should read the Yamaha MX series doesn't remember octave in saved performance.
2) You should have bought a Kurzweil! :)

Reaction score
Thanks, DD, note that my topic is a question. I asked if the octave issue is true of all Yamaha performance keyboards, because I'm hoping for an informed answer from owners of other Yamaha keyboards. Do you know it to just be the MX series? Thanks.

Reaction score
I know you can save octaves in performances and splits in models like the XS and XF series, so it isn't general to all Yamaha models. I am not familiar with the Yamaha series k/b you own.

Ask a Question