YDP-141 help please!! Total loss..

Reaction score
I know this has been covered a bunch, but I just cant seem to find an answer. Ill throw it out there hoping it sticks. Trying to learn to play the piano as an adult. I just bought Playground sessions and a used Yamaha YDP-141. Bought a 2.0 midi cable from amazon. Running 64bit on my 2016 dell xps laptop. I keep trying to install driver, but I get code 25001. My computer recognizes my midi cable, but it will not let me download driver. I just don't know what to do at this point and how I trouble shoot it. Do i email yamaha? do I email Dell. I am super motivated to practice and learn its been a life long goal. I am so discouraged and frustrated. thanks ahead of time for any imput..

Reaction score
Welcome

There are three different drivers available to download.

One for a MAC and two for Windows with one being for 32 bit versions of Windows and the other for the 64 bit versions.

You should be able to download the correct driver direct to your computer and work from there. If you get error messages you may have to disable for a brief period the anti virus system and by that I mean just long enough to download the driver file.

The file will probably be in your Downloads folder in a Zip file format. This will need extracting to a known location of say a folder called DP142 and then manually point Windows to this folder after you select Update Driver in Device Manager.

We had a similar issue a while back so do check out the thread concerned

Reaction score
Sorry for the late response. Thank you for responding to my question! After trying what you said and reading and re- reading that article and a another 2 hours of trouble shooting I finally got it to work. Apparently my Dell did not like the $14 amazon cable I purchased, So I went ahead and ordered the Yamaha one. in about 2 min I was up and running. Again, thank for the response.

Cheers,

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I'm glad you finally got it working!

If you were talking about those MIDI-to-USB converter cables with MIDI DIN plugs on one end and a USB plug on the other end, the inexpensive ones you see everywhere online are often problematic for one reason or another. It's usually best to pay a bit more and buy one from a big-name, reputable company.

Reaction score
Welcome

There are three different drivers available to download.

One for a MAC and two for Windows with one being for 32 bit versions of Windows and the other for the 64 bit versions.

You should be able to download the correct driver direct to your computer and work from there. If you get error messages you may have to disable for a brief period the anti virus system and by that I mean just long enough to download the driver file.

The file will probably be in your Downloads folder in a Zip file format. This will need extracting to a known location of say a folder called DP142 and then manually point Windows to this folder after you select Update Driver in Device Manager.

We had a similar issue a while back so do check out the thread concerned

Do I run setup first or update the driver first?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Which setup are you referring to?

If you need to install the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver, make sure you download the correct version, then connect the keyboard to the computer and turn it on before you try to install the driver, then install the driver and it should be able to detect the keyboard and set itself up for that model.

If you need to install the Steinberg USB driver, which is the correct driver for Yamaha models that have a built-in USB audio interface, you must do the installation in the opposite order-- make sure the keyboard is not connected to the computer, then install the driver, then connect the keyboard to the computer and turn it on.

If you have software that you want to use the keyboard with-- a DAW or other MIDI editor, the Yamaha Musicsoft Downloader, Playground Sessions, etc.-- then I think in general it shouldn't matter whether you install the driver for your keyboard before or after running the setup for the other software, because most software of that nature is designed to work with several makes and models of MIDI devices, hence they should allow for the possibility of adding more devices to your gear setup after they've already been installed, rather than requiring you to uninstall the software, install your new gear, and reinstall the software each time you get a new piece of gear.

However, if you're talking about software that's designed to work with only a select number of devices, you should check the installation instructions for that software to see what the proper installation procedure is.

Ask a Question