You Are What You Play, Not What You Eat...

Reaction score
Cheers Gary a great read.

Today I have the great Ben E King, and his Stand By Me running through my mind, so much so that despite the injured wrist I have just had to pick up my Fender Bass and play the fantastic yet repetitive bass line that the song had.

Probably has something to do with us going to a concert by The Drifters last night ( OK so they have been more of a tribute band for the last 30 years ) but it was still a great concert.

Saw them many years ago when Johnny Moore was the lead, totally awesome, one hit after another all night, a most memorably concert.

Reaction score
Cheers Gary a great read.

Today I have the great Ben E King, and his Stand By Me running through my mind, so much so that despite the injured wrist I have just had to pick up my Fender Bass and play the fantastic yet repetitive bass line that the song had.

Probably has something to do with us going to a concert by The Drifters last night ( OK so they have been more of a tribute band for the last 30 years ) but it was still a great concert.

Saw them many years ago when Johnny Moore was the lead, totally awesome, one hit after another all night, a most memorably concert.

As it happens I was noodling around just stepping through 'styles' and somehow just drifted into 'Stand by Me'. Probably everyone has a personal music book in their heads. Simplicity is likely a factor and 'Stand by Me' is certainly that yet somehow better than most of the many similar doowop songs. One of the little ideas I like to play with is how many standards incorporate snippets of the same progression, sometimes as a mere spacer between parts and sometimes even disrupting time and phrasing yet somehow adding to the overall effect. Many years ago my son and I took a canoe trip with a cheap radio for entertainment: local AM stations blasted 'Every Breath You Take' every half hour. That was totally burned in even though it was obviously yet another exploit of the same well trodden harmonic path (and arguably a classic).

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Ir reminds me back in the old days at work (not so much now . . I think) there would always be some joker whistleing all day long as he worked. Always the same tune.
For me never a whistler but yes I hum tunes to myself in the back of my mind. A long time ago I could not get George Harrison's "while my guitar gently weeps" out of my head. As well "my sweet lord" playing over and over in my brain. Especially the Do do do do doo doo dooo intro bit . .lol.
Ray

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks Gary, for that post. ''twas interesting to read. I guess I'm one of the odd ones in that I generally want to hear new rock music. I don't know why that is either but it is what it is.
I still get the same thrill out of a new song that I used to get 60 odd years ago when I would hear one.
I couldn't wait to hear the cd from the band Haken that I found in my mailbox when I got home from work this afternoon. Now of course nothing has the same effect as hearing a brand new Beatles song did but that was years ago and I was at the right age at the right time.
However, even now I find myself leaning very hard towards newer stuff as opposed to the old tried and true. I think this has a lot to do with over saturation. At work we suffer through Q107 and it's relentless in its repetition. After a while, enough is enough. Give me something new!

Ask a Question