YPG-635 or Clavinova 202

Reaction score
hello, I'm looking to get a digital piano for my fiancé birthday.There are 2 I'm most interested in. The first is a used Yamaha Clavinova CVP 202, in great condition for $500 (6 hour drive to pick it up for roughly $100 expense and 12-14 hours to pick up) and the other a used Yamaha YPG-635 in excellent condition for $400 (30 min drive to pick up, roughly $10 expense and a hour of my time.)

She is a beginner player. But I want something that she wont get bored of. If anyone can maybe weight in on some pros and cons to help me decide that would be great.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
This is a no brainer. The Clavinova, while a lovely piece of furniture, is at least 15 years old or older.

The YPG is of a more recent vintage of the past 5 years or less.

While the Clavinova may have been babied and only played in church on Sundays by a little old lady who left her fortune to her cat, time did not stand still for it.

The internal rubber parts and electrolytic capacitors have been drying out over the years and will eventually fail within the next 5 to 10 years resulting in a monster repair bill.

Go with the YPG for less money and enjoy an instrument you don't need a truck to haul :)

That's my $0.02

Gary

Reaction score
Hey, thanks for weighing in your opinion. You raised a very valid point. While I been leaning more towards the clavinova because it seemed I was getting more bang for my buck. The fact it would cost much more if and when it needs repairing makes sense. It seems you saved me a long drive and a possible headache years down the road. Yamaha YPG-635 it is! Thank you! Hope she likes it!

Ask a Question