YPG-635 Speaker Damage?

Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if I play my YPG-635 at almost max volume and sometimes max volume can damage the speakers that are built in? Keeping in mind that the built in songs I play are much louder than the actual playing itself, eg the demo song is very loud. So can anybody tell me if playing the keyboard at max sometimes would perminently damage the speakers or the sound produced. You would think that Yamaha would design the keyboard so that the amps would not overpower the speakers.

Thanks guys Christian

Reaction score
Yes, chances are it will damage them. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, the master volume control also controls the headphones and audio out levels so Yamaha may make the maximum output louder than the speaker max level. For example, my headphones are naturally quiet, so I have to run my keyboards at higher levels than I would normally to be heard if I'm not going through my amp.

(If the demo song is too loud, why not just turn the volume down...?)

Reaction score
But why would Yamaha design there keyboard so that it would be possible to damage the speakers if the volume is up high, why would yamaha leave this option open? and have there repair center packed with damaged speaker keyboards that are still under warranty. I just found another keyboard made by yamaha that has two 12 + 12 amps instead of my 6 + 6 amps with the same speakers (12 x 2 cm). So if the other keyboards 12 + 12 amps are using the same speakers as I am then there's no way that I could damage my speakers with my 6 + 6 amps right? Why don't turn it down?, because I LIKE IT LOUD, they allow the volume control to go to max for people like me, or it would just be from MIN to MED.

Thanks

Reaction score
It surely feels like a stupid design to make the Max Volume louder than the built-in speakers could handle, really.
Maybe they thought something like "Hey, you will probably run it through an amp or PA at gigs and rehearsals, and you won't need max volume at home", which I do agree with a little bit actually.

But I'm in a similar situation atm, because we don't currently have a PA or an amp in my band, which means that the keyboard needs to be at max volume constantly, so it would be good to know wether this will damage my speakers or not...

Just a question; For how long have you been playing with max volume? Years? Months? Weeks? Would be great to know, so that I know how carefull I need to be :p

EDIT: Oh, I actually don't have a YPG-635, but a DGX-220. But I think the speakers are very similar, so they would probably withstand similar amounts of volume before breaking.

Reaction score
Speaker Reply

Hello,

How long have you been playing your keyboard at MAX volume? Mine has only been played at MAX occationally for about a month. Have you experienced any problems with your speakers playing them at MAX? Also, do your speakers sound distorted playing them at MAX? I would imagine that it would not be too expensive to have the speakers replaced if they did get damaged due to extensive paly at MAX.

OK CHH

Reaction score
It has been on max for about 3 hours 2 days a week for about a month, I haven't heard any unwanted distortion yet, and I really hope I won't hear one either, but it sounds like I'm closing in to the danger zone? Time to get a PA to the band, then...

Ask a Question