YPG640 as a master to a motif6

Reaction score
My son owns both keyboards. I see a lot of info online about recording from the YPG640 to a computer via the usb output but I'd like to know if this same output can send midi signals to the motif? The idea being that he wants the larger keyboard of the YPG640 to make use of the awesome sounds on the motif6

Are there standard cables that have the square USB connector at one end and 2 round midi connectors at the other end? Is there something other than getting the right cable (and telling each keyboard via the menus) that is necessary?

The Y_man

Reaction score
Pretty sure it won't work - you need to have the computer "in between" to broker the signals. I am assuming the Motif has a USB terminal as well?

The Y-man

Reaction score
Yes the motif has midi via USB or standard midi in and out.

We know it works with a Casio wk3000 using the standard midi in out cables.
We were able to go both directions.

Is there a Yamaha expert who would know about this?

By the way I made a mistake about the model number.
He has the DGX 640

Thanks

Reaction score
I just ordered one of those and one of these because the USB output of the dgx640 is type B USB. Hopefully this will work. Worst case scenario it won't and I'm out about $7 total and I'll have some useless cables sitting around the house.

Ask a Question