Anyone get any new Gear Over the Holidays???

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The title says it all. Was Santa naughty or nice to everyone out there this Xmas and if he was nice, what did you get?

I didn't get any gear as a gift but I gave myself an M-Audio Venom VA Synth during the Boxing week sales this year. Amazon.com is clearing them out at $189 now. Fortunately I managed to find a Canadian dealer who was willing to do an American price match. I've also ordered myself a nice custom dust cover for it that matches the ones on all my other gear.

Anyway, for the price I simply couldn't resist picking it up. Now I just have to sit tight for a few days until the delivery truck shows up.

There's gonna be a LOT of weird sounds emanating from my basement this month :D :D :D

So let's hear what else everyone else got? ;)

Gary

The Y_man

Reaction score
Well..... got lotsa gear... but not really musical (unless you can call power tools musical!)

Took on doing some maintenance work on the timber banister out the front of the house - ended up buying (in order of necessity on different days as the need for different tools became apparent:
  • angle grinder (to cut the dynabolts in the brick work holding the existing rotting timberwork)
  • coumpound sliding mitre saw (to cut new timber)
  • jigsaw (to cut holes in the new timber)
  • drill bits (to fit the new dyna bolt)
:D

The Y-man

Reaction score
Casio PX 350 keyboard...actually got it before Christmas but who's checkin'

Awesome unit even though I'm very much in the beginner stage.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Casio PX 350 keyboard...actually got it before Christmas but who's checkin'

Awesome unit even though I'm very much in the beginner stage.

Nice. Did you get all the accessories to go with it? I strongly advise getting a good dust cover for it.

Reaction score
Our band needed a better sound board so I got a Presonus Studiolive 16.4.2 digital mixer. It has self contained effects engines so you don't need to use outboard gear, plus it has firewire so you can record direct from the board. That means it can serve as a front end for a digital recording system. It sounds great. Don

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Isn't it amazing what kind of electronics can be had for chump change these days?

Back in the 70's and 60's any kind of multitrack recording rig would have set you back 10's of thousands of $$$.

Nowadays any garage band can afford to record on equipment that would have made the likes of Deep Purple or Strawberry Alarm Clock green with envy ;)

Reaction score
Yes, it is indeed a lot different. In the 70's I worked full time with my music, including being involved in a recording studio business with a cousin. Back then it was analog, and we used an Ampex 16 track tape machine. A 16 track studio was was pretty good for that time, but tape editing wasn't anything you wanted to get into. I love working with digital because of the flexibility in work process. I also don't have anywhere near the monetary investment we had in the old analog set up.

Reaction score
It is a little bit after Christmas, but I just found myself a good deal on the Akai MPD26 control surface. Helps a guy think analog when working with a lot of digital gear. Works so well controlling Ableton Live!

Ask a Question