Can I attach a notebook + sheet holder + mic boom arm to an X STAND?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
My Two Tier Z stand is an Onstage.

At the time I bought it it was half the price of a Quicklok and double braced instead of single braced.

As far as I was concerned I was sold.

It has a 350 lb capacity which is more than enough for my 54 lb Kurzweil and my 30 lb Studiologic Sledge and I can play as hard as a madman and it won't even vibrate so much as a quiver.

Onstage makes some good stuff for reasonable prices and a lot of it is universal fit.

Quicklok I find to be somewhat overpriced and you're paying for the name.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
HI Eric, Yes a laptop. Looks interesting the Arturia. Yes I think they should have anticipated us wanting a laptop holder :mad:

Regarding your Hercules stand are you referring to some solution like this (second photo from the top: this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JIKBGW...1_B0167JTJIQ#HLCXComparisonWidget_feature_div ? Here it seems th laptop can fitbeneath a possible second tier keyboard.

Talking about the 18950 K& M stand; the one sitting in the box?

Now I go to bed. Its 3 night here. Gosh:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Curious, I didn't know about the reputations of these companies.

As for the Hercules: mine is an older model, bought it for a song at a used music shop the very day I purchased my Roli (wasn't even looking for one, but stumbled on it. I actually like it A LOT more than the current model, as it doesn't have that goofy cross bar, and has this really cool "snap" system where you just adjust the parts and they lock into place. The problem isn't fitting the laptop underneath, it's fitting the TRAY which is obscured by the vertical bars. To my surprise, though, I found that if I slide my keylab about 8" right of center, it gets it over far enough that the bars don't intrude, and the board isn't really off balance, even in standing position where the area of stability is smaller. The new model looks like it could do that too, though you'd want to collapse the uprights in just a bit (so they're not completely vertical), which allows for a few more inches for the tray. Obviously, this is all just conjecture, as unfortunately the Keylab88 is the only board out there with a tray like that.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually I used to own a Casio XW-P1 which had a rubberized mat with a bottom stopper on the upper right corner of the keyboard designed expressly for supporting an iPad or a small notebook computer.

And my Kurzweil PC3K8 has loads of room on both the upper left and right corners for holding a pedal or iPad but you'd have to use some sort of rubberized mouse pad or something similar to keep it from sliding off.

Hercules also has a strong rep in the music stand business.

One thing I noted about Onstage though was that they weren't too popular over in Europe a few years ago. Thomann.de didn't even list them back then.

Things might have changed by now and maybe they are more popular over there now, but as far as buying equipment in Canada goes at the time it was the best bang for the buck when I needed a good stand.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
no, the keylab isn't the only controller that supports a laptop. Kawaii, Deopfer, and the ones you mention all have regions where you can put a laptop, but it's the only one that has the tray stick out like that. The downside is that it potentially obscures stand attachments, but the positive is that you can actually have a thinner (lighter) keyboard safely hold a full sized laptop. I'd break my back (and my bank account), hauling that Kawaii around, for instance.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
That's not a pin in the middle of the crossbar. It's a thumbscrew for adjusting the length of the crossbar.

Still, you could always use a double tier, put the keyboard on the bottom tier, put the Onstage shelf on the second tier, and place a laptop there and clamp a mic holder and add a freestanding sheet holder to the shelf.

https://www.amazon.com/Anoder-Tabletop-Holder-Folding-Foldable/dp/B00YG9G5IC/

https://www.amazon.com/Proline-PL53-Tabletop-Sheet-Music/dp/B003XDQXGQ/

As long as you don't play too violently or have any cats that like to jump up on things it would be stable enough with a double braced X-stand.

Get some sleep mon. You're gonna pay for this tomorrow. :D

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
That's a problem with X Stands. You can't adjust the width without changing the height.

Personally it wasn't a problem for me because I play my keys from a standing position.

Maybe you should just break down and buy a two tier Z stand instead? They're a hell of a lot more stable and secure and things like this never happen to them :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Yeah, I switched away from X stands because of a failure. Luckily it was at home in the lowest position, nothing was broken and no-one was hurt, but it could have been a lot worse. Love Z stands. I've thought about trying one of those Apex or Spider stands, but it hasn't happened yet. I found the Hercules X stand at just the right time and it was cheap, or else I would never have another X. But it's built like a tank with two sturdy double braces.

But yeah, one should never "look" for an X stand. If it happens it happens, otherwise, go for a Z or Apex.

Reaction score
Yeah, I switched away from X stands because of a failure. Luckily it was at home in the lowest position, nothing was broken and no-one was hurt, but it could have been a lot worse. Love Z stands. I've thought about trying one of those Apex or Spider stands, but it hasn't happened yet. I found the Hercules X stand at just the right time and it was cheap, or else I would never have another X. But it's built like a tank with two sturdy double braces.

But yeah, one should never "look" for an X stand. If it happens it happens, otherwise, go for a Z or Apex.
Now that I have the x stand I am thinking to buy the On stage and u-mount adaptors which fit into the X stand tubes but apparently also into the squared tubes of the Z stand. Then later I can buy a z stand. Temporary solution. Yes I prefer the Z stand.

These are my considerations. Please comment as to whether you find them reasonable :)

1) The On-stage adaptor inserted into the horizontal tube:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016ZMDEVS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_6?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Look under reviews. Someone was kind to insert photos of his setup.

2) 19" Gooseneck Mic arm that fits with nr one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002GX5NG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=A2UAS8ET3VNC4C&psc=1

3) On-stage laptop mount:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V3A619U/ref=ox_sc_act_title_8?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

However can't seem to understand how on earth to attach it to the Keyboard stand. There is a photo of an x stand with the laptop holder behind it. I wonder how it's been connected. Seems to be not depending on at least both keyboard tubes. Any ideas? Do I need to buy two of 1) the adaptors to fit this laptop mount? I thought why not combine the book holder with a laptop stand, if there exists one that can be tilted at various angles. But it all comes down to what fits with the 1) adaptor. Well it has a vertical squared tube so anything requiring a flat surface such as a table or squared tube should be possible to connect.

4) Book Clamp/note holder:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V3A61DG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Really not sure if this attaches to the 1) adaptor since its max span width is 3/4 " and from the specs the adaptor seems to be 2" (not sure). More likely only to use with a Microphone floor stand.

Also looked at these:

5) https://www.amazon.com/Stage-Stands...&sr=1-3-catcorr&keywords=onstage+laptop+stand

Good for the KS7350 z stand but two reviewvers said its hazardous to the health.

6) 3 u-mounts in one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BWM5FTA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

7) Universal holder Package: https://www.amazon.com/Stage-TCM190...fkmr0&keywords=onstage+gooseneck+phone+holder

Honestly I am thinking: Why not get a table stand like the k&M 18950. So many possibilities with clamps etc.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
What you have there is a virtual jigsaw puzzle.

What pieces and how they will all fit together I'm not certain, at least when it comes to fitting them on an X stand.

I have some of those pieces on my z stand and here's how they fit together,

keyrig-mic-mounts-20180206T140214-1.JPG
keyrig-mic-mounts-20180206T140226-2.JPG
keyrig-mic-mounts-20180206T140234-3.JPG
keyrig-mic-mounts-20180206T140244-4.JPG
keyrig-mic-mounts-20180206T140302-6.JPG
keyrig-mic-mounts-20180206T140848-1.JPG
keyrig-mic-mounts-20180206T140854-2.JPG
keyrig-mic-mounts-20180206T140904-3.JPG

There's a little piece of cellulose cloth stuffed in with the sheetholder fitting because the off center weight has a tendency to tilt the entire assembly toward the middle.

While I think you'd be able to fit all this together and shoehorn it on top of an Xstand be warned that it will be supporting a weighted hammer action keyboard, a mic, a laptop, a shelf and a sheet holder and possibly a second tier.

All around you're adding at least twenty or more pounds to your rig and it will all be precariously balanced on top,

It may be doable, but you might want to tie the stand to the wall or a radiator pipe with a bungee cord in the meantime just to keep it from accidentally tipping over.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hey Dino,

Not saying you would go this way, but I'll show you how I manage three keyboards, two tablets and a laptop. Might give you some ideas. Beware - three separate stands plus a few attachments are involved, however total setup time for stands is about 180 seconds, and pack down is about 60 seconds.

Also, it's a "standing up" rig. I would alter it slightly if I were a sitting down type of guy.

1. K&M 18880 plus stacker attachment. This handles a weighted 88 on the bottom and a 61 on the top.

2. Any generic music stand (or you could use a mic stand) with the top removed. Attached to this is a K&M 19740 tablet holder and a K&M 19720 iPad holder.

3. A generic x-stand which looks after a single 61 (I advise double braced for safety). Added to this is a On Stage KSA7500 second tier, which fits most x-stands out there. I remove the middle strut and cant the arms inwards to support the laptop.

EDIT: Although it's more than evident from the second pic, I should add that instead of using a mic boom I use a headset mic. I didn't want any more stands cluttering up my area of the stage. I use a Shure WH20. I run it through my mixer, and It's good enough for the small amount of backing vocals I do.

Here's a couple of pics so you can see how the setup comes together:

tumblr_p3r8m90liZ1ual3guo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_p3r8ms8Au51ual3guo1_500.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Oh, btw, I saw a really hot Berklee fusion group this summer in a dive near Fenway. First song, the keyboardists two-tier X stand gave out and dumped his micro synth across the room. His 88 landed on his knees and he just kept on playing. That's f***ing pro!

Now I'm starting to get paranoid about my Hercules, if it drops on my foot I'm gonna need major surgery and a new laptop. It's really ideal, but maybe I should look into finally buying that Spider. Maybe after tax season.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If I was really made of money and living on my private island in the Tahiti group I'd be using a Gibraltar stand :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
One's a vocoder and the other is a straight feed.

Nice! That's a good way of going. For a while, I tried to use a vocoder as my straight feed, threw an SM58 on a Microkorg with the vocoder turned off. Made for a good mic stand too. Unfortunately, it wasn't very clean and I guess sounded like crap out in the house. We only used it on one joke song anyway. So I finally ditched the vocoder and just now use a mini mixer to pipe pre-amped vocals into my personal monitor. If we decide to bring back California Love or Intergalactic Planetary, I'll figure something out. Unfortunately, my keyboard riser is a bit small, and Guitar World is right in front, so stands out in front would be kind of difficult. I want to attach everything to one stand. I'm not really a multi-keyboard kind of guy, more into lots of patch changes and splits. Though different kinds of controllers like Seaboard and a keytar are great, I hate duplicating keybeds just for different sounds, seems like kind of a waste. Why I'm software.

Ask a Question