Casio LK-215: cannot establish data connection using DataManager

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I've installed the driver for my new Casio LK-215, and WIndows (XP) sees it as such when the keyboard is connected to the PC with a USB-USB cable, however when I start the clumsy DataManager application, which apparently has no connection settings at all, it always says "No response". THis happens for both versions available from the casio website: 5.0 and 6.1

Was anyone able to establish a data connection between their (lighted keys) keyboard and a PC? Any help would be appreciated!

Reaction score
Hej Tudor, I have disappointing news for you:

Data Manager 5.0

supports only the following models: Mehr erfahren
CTK-4000/CTK-4200/CTK-5000 LK-205/LK-207/LK-270/LK-280
WK-200/WK-210/WK-220/WK-225/WK-500/CDP-200R/CDP-220R

This means your model LK-215 is not supported.

Reaction score
I too have noticed that the lk-215 is not among the supported models, however the manual does mention that once the keyboard is USB-connected to a PC, software can be used to copy MIDI/SMF files over to the keyboard, and then the Casio website is given!

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I've installed the driver for my new Casio LK-215, and WIndows (XP) sees it as such when the keyboard is connected to the PC with a USB-USB cable

What does that mean, does the PC recognize the Keyboard as an extra drive with a certain letter (like drive E, F or so?) And if so, you should be able to move files with a normal explorer programm.

Reaction score
It doesn't see it as a removable drive (in that case, of course, I would have not needed the DataManager) but I do see "Casio MIDI" in my Device Manager list, so it's just a question of finding the software that can make use of the connectivity established by the driver. I can't believe this is so difficult, and that Casio didn;'t put that software on the CD that came with the keyboard!

If all fails, I'll just buy an SD card to get MIDIs on the keyboard, however it'd really be a lot easier with the cable...

The Y_man

Reaction score
The website says driver is on the CD provided.....

http://www.casio-intl.com/asia-mea/en/emi/past/key_lighting/lk215.html

USB port for easy connection to a computer
dot245.gif

spacer.gif
* Supported operating systems: Windows® 98 / 98SE / Me / 2000 Professional / XP Home Edition / XP Professional (Mac OS not supported.)
spacer.gif
* Driver is included on the bundled CD-ROM
* USB cable not included

The Y-man

Reaction score
Yes - as I said, I did install the driver successfully, however it is the software that transfers files to the keyboard that doesn't work

Reaction score
Hej Goldi5210 :)

THanks, I've posted my question on the second site, although both of them seem really low-volume, hopefully smn will reply

Reaction score
No answer at all from there. Looks like I'll just have to use the SD card slot to transfer files to/from the keyboard, which is really annoying :(

Reaction score
Hej Tudor,
I'm very sad that you were not successful; last possibility in my mind is: Write an email to Casio support /F&Q).

Good luck!

Reaction score
The Casio Data Manager software is for transferring files (User Tone files, User Rhythm files, User DSP files, Song files, etc) between a computer and supported WK, CTK, or LK keyboards. The LK-215 can not do this. It is not supported in this manner. The "software" mentioned in the LK-215 manual is referring to computer based DAW or sequencer software (Cakewalk's Music Creator or PG Music's Power Tracks or Band-in-a-Box, for instance) for sending/receiving MIDI song data in realtime to use the keyboard as a "sound module" or to record what you are playing on the keyboard into the computer. The Data Manager software can probably "see" the LK-215, but has nothing useful that it can do with it.

Aside from the programs mentioned above, there are also some rather nice DAW (sequencer) programs available on the web for free download. Try a Google or Bing search.

Good luck !

Ask a Question