Editing effects/or tones?

Reaction score
Hi all. My wife and I have 3 Juno DS boards. She has the DS88 (8 yrs now) and DS76, I got her DS61 hand me down when she recently got the 76. She plays both boards live, and she also has the Ax-Edge. We got that right before Covid hit. Anyway I'm using the DS61 for my Tears For Fears tribute band. I found a great sound for some of the Tears For Fears parts but I need it to sustain fully when holding the key down or the pedal. It's Sy:S20 Sugar Keys. It decays and does not sustain even with the pedal. I need it to hold, like Sy:S26 80's Poly especially with the pedal, as I'm playing guitar and keyboard parts that need to sustain with the pedal when I'm also playing a guitar part. I'm not real hip on understanding the editing in these devices, what's the best thing to do? Put a different tone in the patch that has the effects I want, or add the effects I need to the patch with the right tone? Are either of those possible to do? Thanks! Lee.

Reaction score
All the pedal does is make the keys behave as if you're still holding them down with your fingers. If a sound fades when you hold the key with your finger, it will also fade when you hold it using the pedal. So you need to edit the envelope of the tone so that it does not fade. The adjustment you are looking for is "sustain level" which Roland calls TVA Level 3, see parameter guide page 10.

Screen Shot 2024-05-06 at 11.19.01 AM.jpg

If the sound successfully holds, but gets duller, you may also have to adjust the filter envelope, TVF Level 3, page 9.

Reaction score
I can help you edit the Sugar Keys sound so that it sustains the way that you want it to, and save that edited Patch to a User Location (won't erase anything) - so that you can call it up directly at the gigs.
1. The DS has 2 kinds of sounds: Patches and Performances. Sugar Keys is a Patch (that's good - it's simpler.) (kind of.)
2. Each Patch is made up of 4 Parts (partials.)
3. Each Part has 3 Envelopes. You need to edit Part 1's VCA Envelope, so that its Level 3 value is 127.
If that's enough to go on, let me know. If not, I'm happy to take it from there.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Note that this may not work if it's a sampled tone.
As long as it's not a percussive sound that fades very quickly, it's almost certainly looped, so it should work. (After all, *every* sound in the Juno DS is, at its heart, a sampled tone!)

Reaction score
All the pedal does is make the keys behave as if you're still holding them down with your fingers. If a sound fades when you hold the key with your finger, it will also fade when you hold it using the pedal. So you need to edit the envelope of the tone so that it does not fade. The adjustment you are looking for is "sustain level" which Roland calls TVA Level 3, see parameter guide page 10.

View attachment 3394
If the sound successfully holds, but gets duller, you may also have to adjust the filter envelope, TVF Level 3, page 9.
oops, hi Another! sorry I didn't see your reply before I echoed it!

Reaction score
A "sweep" would typically be LFO applied to filter, whereas phaser would be an effect. Wah could kind of be either, depending on exactly what you're after.

Ask a Question