FP30 Question

Reaction score
When in split mode, (bass in left hand and piano in right) does the left hand sustain when the foot pedal is pressed?
This shouldn't happen in this particular split because the bass notes would run into each other. Just the right hand should sustain when the foot pedal is pressed. So. is there a way of turning this feature off if it is there?
Thanks

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I can't find any information about it in the owner's manual, whereas there is a comment specifically saying that the damper pedal does not affect the left half in "Twin Piano" mode, which suggests that it does affect the left half in "Split" mode.

The MIDI implementation guide seems to give more information. On page 2 of that guide it indicates that specific Control Change messages will not affect a given part if its "Rx." or "receive" switch is turned off, and it also says that the initial or default setting is for the "Rx." switches to be turned on. Then on page 13 it lists the various "Rx." switches for the various pedals and other Control Change messages. So it seems like you should be able to set up a MIDI file-- or send MIDI messages to the keyboard from a computer-- to set up the keyboard as desired.

However, I'm not sure which specific Control Change corresponds to the damper pedal-- Hold1, Sostenuto, or Soft-- although I'd guess that it's Hold1. And I'm not sure which MIDI channel the left split part corresponds to. You should be able to determine those things by turning on Split mode and monitoring the MIDI data coming from the keyboard as you play the left hand part as well as press down on the damper pedal.

Then you should be able to turn off the "Rx." switch for the appropriate Control Change message for whichever channel is used for the left hand part. This assumes that received MIDI data actually changes the keyboard's "panel" settings, which may or may not be the case. For example, on Yamaha keyboards you can send MIDI messages to the keyboard until the cows come home and it won't affect the keyboard's "parts" or panel settings unless you've specifically set the keyboard to do so for specific MIDI channels and specific keyboard parts-- and that functionality isn't included on all Yamaha models. I don't know how it works on Roland models.

Can you connect your FP-30 to your computer? Which OS is your computer on? Do you have a MIDI monitor program? And do you have any experience at sending MIDI messages-- particularly SysEx messages-- to a keyboard?

Reaction score
I can't find any information about it in the owner's manual, whereas there is a comment specifically saying that the damper pedal does not affect the left half in "Twin Piano" mode, which suggests that it does affect the left half in "Split" mode.

The MIDI implementation guide seems to give more information. On page 2 of that guide it indicates that specific Control Change messages will not affect a given part if its "Rx." or "receive" switch is turned off, and it also says that the initial or default setting is for the "Rx." switches to be turned on. Then on page 13 it lists the various "Rx." switches for the various pedals and other Control Change messages. So it seems like you should be able to set up a MIDI file-- or send MIDI messages to the keyboard from a computer-- to set up the keyboard as desired.

However, I'm not sure which specific Control Change corresponds to the damper pedal-- Hold1, Sostenuto, or Soft-- although I'd guess that it's Hold1. And I'm not sure which MIDI channel the left split part corresponds to. You should be able to determine those things by turning on Split mode and monitoring the MIDI data coming from the keyboard as you play the left hand part as well as press down on the damper pedal.

Then you should be able to turn off the "Rx." switch for the appropriate Control Change message for whichever channel is used for the left hand part. This assumes that received MIDI data actually changes the keyboard's "panel" settings, which may or may not be the case. For example, on Yamaha keyboards you can send MIDI messages to the keyboard until the cows come home and it won't affect the keyboard's "parts" or panel settings unless you've specifically set the keyboard to do so for specific MIDI channels and specific keyboard parts-- and that functionality isn't included on all Yamaha models. I don't know how it works on Roland models.

Can you connect your FP-30 to your computer? Which OS is your computer on? Do you have a MIDI monitor program? And do you have any experience at sending MIDI messages-- particularly SysEx messages-- to a keyboard?

SeaGtGruff, first of all thanks for your very through reply of which I don't understand a lot of it in regards to Midi changes...never could quite figure Control Changes. I did see where the manual talks about "Twin Piano" mode and the impression I got was the opposite of what you got namely the damper pedal does not affect the left half in Twin Piano mode and I interpreted that to mean it does NOT affect the left half in Split mode also. This question would be solved if I could talk to tech support at Roland, but going to their website does not make it easy to reach them. I don't own an FP30, but am thinking about buying it. I like the sound and touch of it and the fact that it has a USB to use for storage or imput. I'm also looking at the Yamaha P-115, but I seem to be leaning towards the FP30. Going thru the midi path seems like the long way of doing this. I currently own a Casio Privia 350M and I had the same issue about the left side in the split mode being sustained or not. It didn't say anything about that in their manual and I was able to talk to tech support their and they said that the right side is only affected by the sustain pedal not the left which I was glad to hear. So, even though the manual for the FP30 does not say that, the FP30 could possibly do i too.. I tried the FP30 in the store, but I forgot to check about this issue, so I'll either go back to the music store and try again or continue trying to reach tech support at Roland.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Ah, so you haven't purchased it yet? That's good, since you can still choose something different if it turns out that the FP-30 doesn't meet your needs and wants!

Regarding my interpretation of the manual and MIDI guide, the fact that the manual specifically mentions the damper pedal's action with respect to Twin Piano mode, but not with respect to Split mode, makes me think that the pedal acts differently in Twin Piano mode than in Split mode. And the fact that the MIDI guide says the "Rx." switches for the various channels are turned on by default seems to confirm that the pedal does affect the left-hand voice.

I agree that having to go the MIDI route would be more work, and would be very inconvenient if you wanted to use the FP-30 in gigs but don't want to carry around a tablet or laptop or computer to connect the FP-30 to. On the other hand, if you're going to keep it set up in one spot at home then it might not be too inconvenient, especially if you intend to use the FP-30 with a DAW to record your performances or play virtual instruments, in which case you'd want to have it connected to a computer anyway.

If you need help setting up the MIDI commands, that's no problem-- I or someone else could help with it. But it would definitely be simpler to just buy an instrument that meets your particular needs and wants. :)

Reaction score
Ah, so you haven't purchased it yet? That's good, since you can still choose something different if it turns out that the FP-30 doesn't meet your needs and wants!

Regarding my interpretation of the manual and MIDI guide, the fact that the manual specifically mentions the damper pedal's action with respect to Twin Piano mode, but not with respect to Split mode, makes me think that the pedal acts differently in Twin Piano mode than in Split mode. And the fact that the MIDI guide says the "Rx." switches for the various channels are turned on by default seems to confirm that the pedal does affect the left-hand voice.

I agree that having to go the MIDI route would be more work, and would be very inconvenient if you wanted to use the FP-30 in gigs but don't want to carry around a tablet or laptop or computer to connect the FP-30 to. On the other hand, if you're going to keep it set up in one spot at home then it might not be too inconvenient, especially if you intend to use the FP-30 with a DAW to record your performances or play virtual instruments, in which case you'd want to have it connected to a computer anyway.

If you need help setting up the MIDI commands, that's no problem-- I or someone else could help with it. But it would definitely be simpler to just buy an instrument that meets your particular needs and wants. :)

Well I just got off the phone with Roland and they said their is NO sustain in the left hand on any of the sounds in the split mode. Thats the default. The sustain is in the right hand with the pedal.
That's what I needed to know so it looks like the FP30 will work for me. Thanks for your interest in my question, but I may get back to you in the future in regards to Continuous Controllers which I don't understand how to active them in a program that I have.

Ask a Question