Memory Bank on PSR350

Reaction score
I have joined an Oldies Band and I have a basic question regarding memory settings On my PSR350 ..... to retain memory bank settings..... do I need to keep batteries in the keyboard while transporting to a gig ? Or will the memory be retained all the time (without batteries)when the power supply is disconnected? My goal is to retain voice settings between gigs.
Manual is very unclear!

Last edited:

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
You're right; the manual seems unclear, as it says that the backup is retained "as long as an AC adaptor is connected or a set of batteries is installed," which implies that unplugging the adaptor or removing the batteries will clear the backup.

I suggest that you save some settings to a specific Registration, turn off the keyboard, and remove the batteries or unplug the adaptor (whichever you're using). Then wait a while, reconnect the adaptor, turn on the keyboard, and restore the Registration to see whether or not the settings were retained.

Reaction score
Thanks Mike. So your not sure either! I'll put batteries in and "keep my fingers crossed".
I'll let you know my findings.

Do you have any idea (if it works) how long the batteries would last ..... if I use the AC adapter when performing and leaving The batteries in just for backup retention.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Hello Jerry.
Welcome to the forums. Nice people here. Friendly and helpful.
I wish you evey success with your oldies band. Have some fun!
Enjoy music / enjoy life -ray

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I would try it without batteries-- at home, of course, before you get into a gigging situation-- to see what happens, so you'll know the definitive answer to the mystery. The newer PSR models retain the Registrations and other backup settings whether or not there are batteries in them or their power adapters are plugged in, but I'm not sure about older models such as the PSR-350.

As far as keeping batteries in the keyboard while also using the power adapter, I don't think that's a good idea, as I seem to recall reading that you shouldn't do it-- probably something to do with how much power is being fed to the keyboard's electronics. If you do find that the settings are getting lost unless the power adapter is plugged in or there are batteries in the keyboard, then it would probably be best to remove the batteries whenever the power adapter is plugged in and the keyboard is turned on.

Also, it isn't a good idea to leave batteries in the keyboard while it isn't being used-- at least not for extended periods of time-- because if the batteries corrode it can damage the connections inside the keyboard. For that reason, I'd be surprised if the keyboard were designed to lose its backup settings whenever the batteries are removed, although the wording of the manual does seem to imply that such is the case.

Reaction score
Hello Jerry.
Welcome to the forums. Nice people here. Friendly and helpful.
I wish you evey success with your oldies band. Have some fun!
Enjoy music / enjoy life -ray
Thanks, Ray.
I had a kidney transplant a couple years ago and now being healthy again after five years on dialysis,,, I'm enjoying my new lease on life to the fullest!
The oldies band "CRUZIN' " is doing great!
6 retired old(er) guys having a ball !

Reaction score
I would try it without batteries-- at home, of course, before you get into a gigging situation-- to see what happens, so you'll know the definitive answer to the mystery. The newer PSR models retain the Registrations and other backup settings whether or not there are batteries in them or their power adapters are plugged in, but I'm not sure about older models such as the PSR-350.

As far as keeping batteries in the keyboard while also using the power adapter, I don't think that's a good idea, as I seem to recall reading that you shouldn't do it-- probably something to do with how much power is being fed to the keyboard's electronics. If you do find that the settings are getting lost unless the power adapter is plugged in or there are batteries in the keyboard, then it would probably be best to remove the batteries whenever the power adapter is plugged in and the keyboard is turned on.

Also, it isn't a good idea to leave batteries in the keyboard while it isn't being used-- at least not for extended periods of time-- because if the batteries corrode it can damage the connections inside the keyboard. For that reason, I'd be surprised if the keyboard were designed to lose its backup settings whenever the batteries are removed, although the wording of the manual does seem to imply that such is the case.

Mike,,,,, GUESS WHAT THE ANSWER IS ,,,,,,
After perusing your comments,,,,, I put batteries in, and MEMORY RETAINED !
Tried with AC power and batteries in, and MEMORY RETAINED !
After reading your comments about batteries,, plus,, power,,,,,,,,
I REMOVED the batteries, and VOILA,,,,,, MEMORY RETAINED !
Turned Keyboard OFF and removed the Power,,,, then after awhile I plugged it in again, turned the Keyboard BACK ON and ,,,,,, TO MY AMAZEMENT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,MEMORY STILL RETAINED !
Conclusion: DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING IN MANUALS ! !
Mike, NOW we both know the answer ! ..... THANKS AGAIN.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
That's what I was hoping, and had more or less expected, except for that confusing wording in the manual. Conclusion: Sometimes manuals aren't written as clearly as they ought to be. "You aren't supposed to read what we write; you are supposed to understand what we are trying to say!" Often the best way to answer a question about how something works is to just try it and see what happens. :)

Reaction score
Thanks, Ray.
I had a kidney transplant a couple years ago and now being healthy again after five years on dialysis,,, I'm enjoying my new lease on life to the fullest!
The oldies band "CRUZIN' " is doing great!
6 retired old(er) guys having a ball !

Glad to hear it! Welcome to the forum :D

Reaction score
That's what I was hoping, and had more or less expected, except for that confusing wording in the manual. Conclusion: Sometimes manuals aren't written as clearly as they ought to be. "You aren't supposed to read what we write; you are supposed to understand what we are trying to say!" Often the best way to answer a question about how something works is to just try it and see what happens. :)

Mike, guess what? THE MANUAL for my "YAMAHA PSR350" Was "CORRECT" ! !
Got up this morning.... wanted to checkout my keyboard memory before heading out tonight for our job,,,,, and ... NO MEMORY !
So I put all of my 16 sets of memories back in,,,, PUT BATTERIES IN,,,,, I hope I have the memory banks still in there tonight.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Dang, that's not good. Maybe you just need to think about buying a newer model? You can still keep the PSR-350 to use as a second keyboard if you want, but a newer model should have additional features, plus it shouldn't require you to keep batteries in the keyboard to retain the backup settings.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
What happened to that self nominated Yamaha dude who said he'd catch these questions a few weeks ago?

So much for factory CSR's :p

Personally I have more reasons for disliking Yamaha than not. :eek:

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Dang, that's not good. Maybe you just need to think about buying a newer model? You can still keep the PSR-350 to use as a second keyboard if you want, but a newer model should have additional features, plus it shouldn't require you to keep batteries in the keyboard to retain the backup settings.
I have 2 psr350’s now !
Probably should up grade.... But BATTERIES ARE CHEAPER .... HaHaHa
Mike, thanks for all the ChitChat ........

Ask a Question