Question for those using a powered speaker (QSC, etc.)

Reaction score
Hey, all -

I am going to be using my QSC K12 with my keyboard for the first time at our next gig. I had been using a Fishman acoustic amp with my MicroKORG, but my new Juno DS has too much sound (lows, etc) with the way I am playing now. At gigs without club-provided sound reinforcement, the K12's I have are used as PA speakers - but our next gig venue has the PA already there.

Do you guys run a mixer in front of your powered speaker even if you just have 1 keyboard, or do you plug your keyboard directly into your speaker? I am going to have to use a mixer for now, as I am also going to have to run my 12 string and mandolin into the K12, but I may use a dedicated acoustic amp for the guitar and mando at some point and I would like to eliminate the mixer if possible then.

If you use a mixer with just one board - why? (I understand if you have multiple instruments).
If you don't, do you miss having the TMB tone controls, dedicated effects from a board, etc? I ran the Juno through my Mackie board and the QSC last practice, and cut the bass down on my board as there seemed to be too much rumble for me.

Any issues running without a mixer in front? Can I just run the line out from the QSC to the house mixer?
Any tips for using a QSC type of powered speaker with a keyboard in general?

Thanks!

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
I'm assuming by Fishman acoustic amp, you mean the SA330x. According to the manual, its frequency range is 71 Hz to 20K Hz. 71 Hz is between the D flat and the D, an octave and a fourth above the bottom of a piano keyboard, almost an octave above the bottom of a bass guitar.

Yeah, for a keyboard amp, that's not enough on the bottom. Have you looked at the SA SUB? That's the subwoofer that's designed for the amp. It claims to go to 30Hz, which is between the B and C at the bottom of the piano keyboard, below the bottom E string of a bass. This would probably be far enough to give you a decent sound.

Reaction score
I'm assuming by Fishman acoustic amp, you mean the SA330x. According to the manual, its frequency range is 71 Hz to 20K Hz. 71 Hz is between the D flat and the D, an octave and a fourth above the bottom of a piano keyboard, almost an octave above the bottom of a bass guitar.

Yeah, for a keyboard amp, that's not enough on the bottom. Have you looked at the SA SUB? That's the subwoofer that's designed for the amp. It claims to go to 30Hz, which is between the B and C at the bottom of the piano keyboard, below the bottom E string of a bass. This would probably be far enough to give you a decent sound.
The Fishman I have is an old Loudbox Performer Pro. I wish I had the SA330! Those are nice amps.

Ask a Question