Weighted keys

Reaction score
I am looking for an allround synthesizer with max 73 weighted keys and easy to programm, not too heavy.... I'm thinking 8 kilos.
I own a Yamaha modx 7 which has tons of possibilities but I am not too pleased with the semi weighted keys and the piano sounds seem to stay in the keyboard, like not coming out sparkling. Is there a better option around? Any tips?

Reaction score
You're not going to find a 73-key hammer action at 8 kilos. There's the Yamaha P-121 at 10 kg but it's very limited in its functionality ("easy to program" doesn't even become a factor, because there's basically nothing there to program). For something with some versatility, the lightest is probably Studiologic Numa X Piano 73, at about 11.7 kg. (And Yamaha CP73 and YC73 are 13.1-13.4.)

While the MODX7 will never feel great for piano, it can feel a lot better if you go into your piano patches and adjust the Velocity Offset and Velocity Depth parameters (I think particularly the first, for the issue you're describing).

If you need to stay in that 8 kg range and still want a good deal of versatility, although non-hammer, I'd say Kurzweil PC4-7 feels better for piano than MODX7. It's a very capable board. The basics, like setting up splits and layers, is pretty easy to do, but other stuff can get pretty complicated, so "easy to program" depends what you're looking to do.

Reaction score
Agree with anotherscott. You are seeking the Holy Grail (like many of us!). If hammer action is non-negotiable (which I understand), then you won't get below 10 kg. I used to own the Yamaha P-121. I liked the action. It has 1/4" outputs. The sounds are limited to the 24 presets, and not tweakable (take it or leave it). HOWEVER it has a built-in USB audio interface, which means that with a single USB cable you can control virtual instruments on an iPad or laptop, and receive back digital audio (which plays through the internal speakers and the output jacks. Obviously carrying that extra gear may be a hassle. And there is no pitch bend or mod wheel. And no DIN midi jacks. Another minor drawback is that it is relatively tall, so you need a stand that will adjust low enough to account for that.

Reaction score
Mmm thanks. I was thinking a Nord stage would have it all, but they're sooooo expensive. I think I will stick to my modx7 after all

Reaction score
I wound up getting a Kurzweil PC4 in September 2022 for this very reason: VERY light weight (28.7lbs!) and a nice small form factor, yet decent keyboard/key-bed action and tactile feel.

Kurzweil PC4 has nice acoustic pianos, decent EP's (Wurlitzer, Rhodes, etc.) some clavinets, organs, strings, horns & synth/electronica.

The sounds are very good. Some better than others, as with any keyboard - but as an all-around versatile machine it works nicely. I have barely scratched the surface of what it can do.

These suckers are NOT cheap, though - about $2,000 USD, though prices have been falling. I think that it STILL cheaper than Nord prices, though?

I have read about reliability issues with Kurzweil also - and I actually have heard some weird noises come out of mine here and there, when layering sounds... I should probably update the firmware and see if that fixes it.

Reaction score
Hi, I've tried an older Kurzweil at a friend (the sp4-7) and found it not bad at all, only the way to choose sounds , with banks and no display, I found complicated, and the brass sounds were very basic. I might go to a store and try other Kurzweils, not familiar with the brand yet.

Reaction score
Hi, I've tried an older Kurzweil at a friend (the sp4-7) and found it not bad at all, only the way to choose sounds , with banks and no display, I found complicated, and the brass sounds were very basic. I might go to a store and try other Kurzweils, not familiar with the brand yet.
As I alluded to earlier, if you need to keep the weight down, you'll have to sacrifice the fully weighted (hammer) action BUT you can still get actions that feel better for piano than the MODX7. I mentioned the Kurzweil PC4-7... the SP4-7 you tried is pretty similar feeling, both are (IMO) well above average in their piano-playability for non-hammer boards. You could also look for an SP6-7, which I haven't played, but should feel similar... it would be in-between the SP4-7 and PC4-7 in sounds and capabilities, and you might find it the easiest to use of the three.

Reaction score
Most keyboards that are suggested will have one criteria which will probably be a deal breaker for you due to its WEIGHT.

The Kurzweil keyboards I understand are built like brick outhouses and weigh as much. Plus depending upon where you live, forgetting their weight for a moment, they can be very poorly supported. I live in the UK and there is only Bonner’s who effectively stock them so they would be a non starter as they are simply too far away.

The only other one would be a Korg Nautilus but that weights more that a Kurzweil.

A keyboard I suggest you try would be a Roland Fantom 08 the 76 key version weighs in at 9kg, it does not have weighted keys but the keybed is IMO vastly superior to any similar priced Yamaha.

To me the most suitable way forward may well be a MIDI keyboard controller, one with a keybed that works for you. Then go the VST route via a MacBook and Mainstage or similar App.

Reaction score
Most keyboards that are suggested will have one criteria which will probably be a deal breaker for you due to its WEIGHT.

The Kurzweil keyboards I understand are built like brick outhouses and weigh as much.

The Kurzweils I mentioned were the PC4-7 at 8.8 kg and the SP6-7 at 7.95 kg.

A keyboard I suggest you try would be a Roland Fantom 08 the 76 key version weighs in at 9kg, it does not have weighted keys but the keybed is IMO vastly superior to any similar priced Yamaha.

The 76 key (non weighted) version is called Fantom-07 and it's actually only 7 kg, but I find the action quite poor for piano, I'd choose the MODX7 over that. (I own both.)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'll sweeten the pot. The Kurzweil has channel pressure aftertouch. I swore by them in earlier times but now have abandoned ship since they apparently abandoned my country during the pandemic.

The PC4-7 and PC4-8 strayed from traditional design in that they designed a plastic instead of metal casing and they switched from Fatar to Medeli Keybeds. General scuttlebutt around the water coolers at Kurzweil is that user feel varied greatly from player to player, and newer to older.

They also come with 4 GIGS of REWRITABLE RAM with plenty of room to store in new sounds and samples.

At the price point I would simply contend they are the best choice on the market.

Alas, nobody here even imports one for a fair price. The big Music companies locked them out of the country with the gradual amalgamation of about 5 large chains in the country.

Ain't capitalism grand? :p :p :p

Reaction score
The Kurzweil PC4-7 and PC4-8 strayed from traditional design in that they designed a plastic instead of metal casing and they switched from Fatar to Medeli Keybeds. General scuttlebutt around the water coolers at Kurzweil is that user feel varied greatly from player to player, and newer to older. They also come with 4 GIGS of REWRITABLE RAM with plenty of room to store in new sounds and samples.

At the price point I would simply contend they are the best choice on the market.

Alas, nobody here even imports one for a fair price. The big Music companies locked them out of the country with the gradual amalgamation of about 5 large chains in the country.
Hey man - are you in Toronto area?

It seems like the Guitar Center in Buffalo, NY would be within a couple hours' drive for you - but I guess they don't sell Kurzweil at Guitar Wanker??

Alternatively, can't you just order online from Sweetwater?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Firstly, nothing personal, I've been to Buffalo and I'd rather watch a cat eat it's own faeces than visit the US these days.

Secondly, no Canadian distributor means no Canadian warranty service.

Thirdly, Visa reams you on the exchange, shipping and duties everytime something has to cross the border.

The last remaining Kurzweil repair centre (Some dude with a soldering iron) in the country also works out of a border town (Fort Erie).

I'll take a shot at repairing my PC3K8 by myself before I haul it halfway across the province to fix it, :p

Ask a Question