Which lighting key keyboard is better LK230 or LK93tv?

Reaction score
Hello, thank you for your suggestions. I was thinking to buy a lighting key keyboard but I am quite unsure which one to buy.

I like the LK230, the new model from Casio but a cheaper model with many of features (some different from the LK230). I will be very grateful if you can help me to decide as I am quite new and I was planning to learn the keyboard very soon!!

http://www.casio-intl.com/emi/key_lighting/lk230/

http://www.casio-europe.com/euro/emi/productarchive/lightguided/lk93tv/

LK230 HAS New AHL* sound source,

A wide selection of tones (400 high-quality tones)

150 rhythms and Auto Accompaniments, 48-note polyphony

New lessons functions guide you along the way to music proficiency quite different from the LK93

AND MANY OTHER FEATURES

LK93 HAS 264 Tones, 32-note polyphony, 120 RHYTHMS, SPLIT FUNCTION ETC

What I was worrying is that the LK230 could have much better sounds similar to a piano, I do not know if all the features of the LK230 are important or essential and if it is really a much better keyboard than the LK93 and if the LK93 is much user friendly for a beginner with the old 3 lesson functions!

Thank you very much for any advices as I wanted to buy one or the other as soon as possible...regards liz

Reaction score
I've played music most my life (12-string, flute, shakuhachi, hammer dulcimer) mostly by ear. Took a couple semesters in the 80's of playing piano at a community college. But they only focused on music-theory with very little time actually spent at the keyboard. None of that ever helped (me) to learn keyboard. A couple months ago I was going through some e-books I have downloaded over the years. I found two that became pretty important "keys" to unlock how to play keyboard.

"How to Play Popular Piano In 10 Easy Lessons" by Norman Monath, and "Play Piano in a Flash" by Scott Houston. I started by reading the second one because I had seen him do a pledge-drive show on PBS, and he made some good points about the difference between learning classical pieces or learning to play for enjoyment and creativity. From his book I come to find out that ALL the chords were just simple repeating geometric patterns on a keyboard. A thousand times easier than learning complex guitar chords. Then I read about half of the first book "Popular Piano In 10 Easy Lessons" and it explained the patterns to all the chord types that the "Piano in a Flash" book didn't cover.

After reading those short books (and just part of one at that) I thought I'd put what I had read to a test. I got out one of my guitar cheat-sheets (I've played guitar by ear for ages). My cheat-sheets are just chord names and words, no notes, no other notation. From that alone and what I learned from those two small books, in just two days, I was able to play "Vincent - Starry, Starry Night" by Don McLean on a keyboard with both hands, from start to finish. Having never tried to do that before until that moment. Not fast, not without mistakes, but recognizable, and it still sounded really nice even when played that slow my first time.

So, what I'm trying to say here is ... I don't think lighted keys will really help all that much. Unless you just want to learn a few songs by rote-memory. In a "Simon Says" sort of way. However, if you learn the simple repeating geometric patterns for all the chords (find those two books, they're worth it), then you can play nearly any song just from something as simple as the chord-symbols and words, on ANY keyboard.

Something to consider?

Ask a Question