Elbow height compared to the keyboard.

Reaction score
Should the elbows be below, above, or parallel with the keys for best playing position?

I am sorry if this may seem like a silly question.

And have a nice day. :)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
AFAIK they should be slightly above, parallel with the wrists turned slightly downward. Really what you're looking for is maximum comfort while playing.

Gary

Reaction score
I'll second what Gary has said. The golden rule is - If it hurts while you are playing, you're doing it wrong. Ideally the wrists should be relaxed and elbows should be above the keybed for a smoother playing experience.

Reaction score
For me it's just what feels comfortable. I know that when you classical piano the teachers tell you elbows just above, almost parallel, to the keyboard but I tend to have them a bit lower sometimes on the Hammond and just a bit higher or parallel on the piano.

So I guess it is just what feels right to you. As long as you are comfortable I would say that there is no "wrong" way to be positioned while playing

Reaction score
Its quite a subjective issue. People have different hand sizes and finger length. If you have short fingers (like Elton John) your posture will be quite different to a player with long fingers (Horowitz/Rachmaninov)
It also can depend on the style of music played.

Ask a Question