How to overcome quantization error (no sequencing, live playing)

tjw

Reaction score
I have had a problem all my life with playing. I can "stay with" the general tempo, but cannot seem to be accurate upon the "groove" (for lack of a better word), The quantization of my notes is too random, especially in faster tempos. I sound ragged and gappy.

Can anyone suggest how I might improve, in this sense? Perhaps I've not explained well enough.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Hard to say, but I'd advise getting lots of practice with varying styles of music (all styles) and trying to learn how to anticipate where a musical phrase is going before it happens.

Mainly though, I'd say just practice.

Gary :)

Reaction score
Have you ever practiced with a metronome?

If not, I'd start there. And I'd do it _with a teacher to guide me_. Especially if your first reaction is:

. . . "I've tried to play with a metronome, and I can't do it."

. Charles

Reaction score
Great idea by Charles, I would echo his suggestion.

One thing that I have noticed when I am with a group of keyboard players is that some of them do not hold the note for the correct duration, so say that it is 4/4 time with just four 1/4 notes to play in a bar, what some actually play is more like four 1/16th notes where each is just a short quick stab at the appropriate key, the resultant effect does sound discordant amongst the other players. A metronome would definately help.

Once comfortable try exercises off beat

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
what some actually play is more like four 1/16th notes where each is just a short quick stab at the appropriate key, t

I find I tend to play the opposite. I tend to hold the note too long rather than too short. I have a tendency to prolong the note. Sometimes a tune with 4 beats to the bar stretches to 4 beats over two bars. Usually happens with quick tempo tunes. Often it sounds okay as long as I maintain the same rhythm throughout but not quite right.
The problem for me is the the song moves too fast for my brain to respond.

Definitely the metronome helps and to play over and over and over and practise practise practise . .:eek:

It can get tedious playing a tune over and over to get it right. But perfectionism is the goal and worth the effort . . I say:rolleyes:

Ray

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The OP was saying that he has no problem with keeping tempo, but rather dealing with groove or swing timing. At least that's how I understood the question.

That being said, I still think the best recourse is to be able to anticipate where the musical phrase is heading before it happens.

Truth be told, that ability only comes with LOTS of practice.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
The OP was saying that he has no problem with keeping tempo, but rather dealing with groove or swing timing. At least that's how I understood the question.

That being said, I still think the best recourse is to be able to anticipate where the musical phrase is heading before it happens.

Truth be told, that ability only comes with LOTS of practice.

Gary ;)

Ahhh -- if it's "I can play straight, but I can't play swing or shuffle", that's a different problem.

I'd pick up an inexpensive drum machine (or equivalent metronome software for a cellphone) that has a "swing parameter" -- so it will go:

dum....dum..dum.....dum..dum....dum..

and you can adjust the amount of un-eveness between long and short beats.

That way, you could practice playing with varying amounts of "swing", and get that under your fingers.

But you're right -- listening to what the other players are _actually playing_, and matching it --

. . . that's a "listening skill", and develops slowly.

And a lot of it develops during band practice.

. charles

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Agreed.

I think the OP has to clarify his question so we know exactly which problem to address.

Gary ;)

tjw

Reaction score
It doesn't matter whether straight or "swing". I'm assuming, by "swing", you mean triplet-feel. I can play with a metronome, sequence, recorded track, etc. - but I have no opportunity to play with other musicians. I can "make it back to the downbeat" ok, but what's in-between is suffering from "hiccups".

I have tried Dave Frank's "Jazz Hanons" (and of course, the original Hanons) and tried to study Frank's "The Joy of Improv", I understand his presentation theoretically but lack the ability to play it with a pleasing result.

I've had an 8-year hiatus from the keyboard since I stopped playing gigs. For a long time I just had no interest, but now some "sparks" are beginning to come up. I now have weak chops to overcome, too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gianni65

Latest Threads