How to use parts 9-16 on MODX8+ with another keyboard?

Reaction score
My MODX8+ has 16 voices, but voices 9-16 have to be played by a second keyboard. I have a second keyboard (a very old Yamaha DX11) which is connected to my MODX8+ via MIDI. I can get the DX11 to send output ion MIDI channel 9, but it will only play the MODX8+ instrument assigned to part 9. I would like for that one input stream to play all the MODX parts 9-16 with just that one input (so I can play one line on the DX11 but it play multiple instruments on the MODX8, like trumpet, sax, trombone in octaves). Is there a place/setting for each MODX8 part to specify which incoming MIDI channel to use? Like where I can set all (9-16) of them up to use input from MIDI channel 9?

Or is it hard-coded/mapped so that part 9 uses MIDI channel9, part 10 uses MIDI channel 10, etc. And if that's the case, how does one make the secondary keyboard send one single played part on multiple MIDI channels to the MODX8?

Reaction score
Your understanding is correct. Re: "how does one make the secondary keyboard send one single played part on multiple MIDI channels to the MODX8" - Some controllers can be set to transmit on multiple channels simultaneously, but if that's not an option, then you could add a device between the controller and the MODX to map a single MIDI channel of input to multiple MIDI channels of output. An Event Processor from MIDI Solutions would be one possibility. Alternatively, you could use an iPad (numerous apps available that could do this), iPhone (fewer options, but still possible), or Mac/PC to do the routing.

Ask a Question