Pro keyboard w/speakers easy transport, any suggestions? Roland RD 88 vs Casio Casio PX-S1000 (or similar)

Reaction score
Looking for suggestions, will post my quirks ahead of time....

I don't particularly care for any digital acoustic piano setting. (I play Steinway)
I did like my Roland RD 2000 electric keys/ vocal scat settings but was too heavy.
I did like the Casio action, seems improved.
I didn't like older Roland action.

Need a quick set up keyboard that won't kill me to cart around. Prefer built in speakers.

Also, portable power sources (e.g. non- gas generators etc..?)
I don't expect 100% satisfaction, just wish to make an educated, economical selection w/o turning a 3 hr gig into constant search for a tolerable setting.

Thoughts appreciated
Lou

Reaction score
Welcome.

You probably nailed it with the Casio S3000, which I have not played myself but I have played the S1000 which was impressive in some respects but the keybed feel was for me behind that of a Roland FP30 and Yamaha P125. Its also battery powered so that issue is solved with a batch if AA’s.

All this of course is assuming that you want 88 hammer action keys.

A Casio WK 7600 is another you could consider, 76 keys, onboard speakers and battery powered if required.

A digital piano at this price point that gets great reviews is the Kawai ES110 which you may also like to consider.

Reaction score
Manufacturers typically don't mix internal speakers with pro keyboards. Pro keyboard typically have pro quality sounds; built in speakers are typically not pro quality. It's like playing a church organ through a transistor radio.

Reaction score
Besides the RD88 and newer Casios, I'd also look at the older Casio PX560, which has the nicest interface of the bunch and is probably the most flexible in terms of splits/layers and on-board editing, if those things matter to you. It has their previous action, but I don't think there's much consensus as to which of the actions is better.

Ask a Question