Transposing (Korg Pa1000).

Reaction score
I cannot find any reference to a way of transposing in the Pa1000 owners handbook.

Changing octave is easy, but I sometimes wish to increase by two or three points for a final section.

Can transposing be done?
And how?
it must be possible.

John.

Reaction score
It really is a case of searching the manual, use the search function in the manual reader you want and type in Transpose and you will get a couple of pages of responses.

There are multiple ways to Transpose such as whole Octave or 1/2 step by 1/2 step and the manual shows how.

You have buttons on the keyboard to transpose by +/- an octave and also by 1/2 step.

A shortcut to a menu can be achieved by pressing and holding the Shift key then Press a button, ie Shift + Assignable Button 3 will bring up a Menu of setting options for that button, in amongst the options you will find a transpose function.

Reaction score
Thanks Biggles, but I think that I know less now than I did before.
I'll have a go tomorrow (there's a thunderstorm outside at the moment), and see what I can make of it, but I'm not too good at gibberish.
I apprecaiate you trying to help.
John.

Reaction score
Changing octave is easy, but I sometimes wish to increase by two or three points for a final section.
It's just as easy. The buttons are just to the right of the octave buttons. They're labeled "transpose." :)

I'm not too good at gibberish.
The manual is not bad. As Biggles said, this is found by searching the PDF for transpose... Quick Guide page 52, or User Manual page 850:

transpose.jpg

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies.
I ought to have made my question a little bit plainer.
I cannot work out how to change key within a registration (or style set).
The owners manual seems to make this seem very complicated and difficult to do.

Using the transpose button won't do it though, although it's a great facility when playing off the cuff.
John.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I cannot work out how to change key within a registration (or style set).
I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to do. You can transpose a style, you can transpose a song (or a section of a song), you can transpose a songbook entry... I suspect that one or more of these may give you what you want.

Reaction score
You are going to need to explain in a lot more detail what you are hoping to achieve.

If for example you have multiple layered instruments do you want to transpose all or just some of the layered instruments?

Assuming the latter. For say Strings or Brass in Upper two you can alter the settings of say Keyboard Set four in the chosen Style and literally press the button to select it when you want.

Once set up save the Registration to Songbook for call up whenever you want to play the same song and all the settings should replicate themselves.

Page 177 of the current manual shows how you can fine tune each layered instrument(s)

Reaction score
Within a styles 4 set parts, I want to increase everything in, say, numbers 3 and 4, to give the music a lift during, say, the second time of playing.
Nothing fancy - I'm not a pro, nor do I play for anyone else, but simply as a hobby.
John.

Reaction score
Now I think I see what you are trying to achieve.

The problem is that there are just the four keyboard sets that are quickly accessible when they are linked within the registration and saved to Songbook

To have amended 3 & 4 for the second time of playing requires the modified versions of them to be saved as their own Keyboard Sets within a pair of User Bank locations.

Round the houses first in that Korg UK have a dedicated Pa website in korgworld.co.uk and then they have an area on crowdcast where they had a whole series of live and interactive Webinars. Luckily these are still available to view and the link will show how this Pro Keyboard player uses User Bank registrations to enhance his playing of a Specific Style.

Watching the video should show you how to achieve what you want, if I have interpreted your requirements correctly.

So you save your 3 & 4 Kbd Set Registrations to the User Bank and modify them there and save them again and you will then be good to go with your Songbank entry having the non modified Keyboard Sets and the User Bank having the modified ones.

Reaction score
Thanks Biggles,
That is exactly what I was after.
So it can be done, and I'll have a go (after looking at the videos).
I've never had to watch so many videos. I find Paul Carmans and Pete Shaws best - short and to the point in just a few minutes.
The Webinars have to be watched through for quite a while to glean just a small bit of information.

Thanks,
John.

Reaction score
It is a steep learning curve.

Whilst the manual is very comprehensive, finding sonething specific can be easier said than done.

Perhaps when you view the Webinars making notes and logging the time code will enable a quick return to a specific item when necessary, alas I was not that disciplined myself.

Tips
Using Songbook and Setlists effectively is the key to using a Pa, there is also Korg software called Songbook Editor which can help a lot, and yes there is a 35 minute tutorial video on using it available.

Some things to do, format a new USB memory stick in the Pa, create a Backup file and also create what we call a SaveAll file, the latter saves all your user data.

If you do not have the SaveAll file then when you reset the OS or update the OS you will loose all your user data if you have not created a SaveAll file.

Whenever I saved anything to a user location I always created a SaveAll just prior to shutting down my Pa.

Finally on the Korgworld.co.uk website I told you about in the resources you will find a file, Osimo for a Pa1000, download this file and extract it to your PC where it will have a .set extension, copy the whole file system to your USB memory stick and insert it into your Pa, Media > Load > select the Osimo file then click on OK you will then have a specific Songbook and Setlists that Korg UK staff inc Pete Shaw have created. It resides permanently on the menory stick and hence does not take any inbuilt Pa memory

Ask a Question