Are there any professional musicians here?

Reaction score
Define professional. I have a "proper" job, but all of my rig is built from professional keyboards and I earn money from what I do. But I still have a normal job.

Reaction score
I play for money, but I play for enjoyment as well. I was a member of AFM for many years. These days I don't do it for a living, but I still play some select jobs for good money when I can. I guess I'm a recovering pro? .lol Don

Reaction score
Hi Don - can you tell the crew what you mean by AFM (or post a link). If they google "AFM band" they're just as likely to get a link to the Armed Forces of Malta's ceremonial band.

Think we've got members from Malta on here actually. It's not as busy on here as the keyboardmag forum (where I know you're also an active member) - but I notice the posts on here are from all over the world - not always the USA/Canada thing dominating on the musicplayer one - though the small but active German contingent on there post plenty.

O/T which model of Receptor are you running and what do you host on it?

Reaction score
AFM is the "American Federation of Musicians", the musicians union in Canada and the US. If you want to perform in the larger North American cities and major venues, you need to be a member. Don

Reaction score
Sorry Goz, I missed the question on the Receptor. Mine is a Receptor Pro w/750G hard drive. It has NI Komplete 5, Atmosphere, Trilogy, EWQLSO Platinum, Colossus, Miroslav, Ivory, 4-Front, and some more that I don't even remember.
I've not spent much time with it yet, but have tested some of the sounds and it does sound fantastic. It has a lot of samples from various sources and is set-up to play them from Kontakt. I think this will be a great machine for me once I get it programmed for the sounds I want to use. Don

Reaction score
Thanks Don. Do you run it in stereo or mono? (A question I can ask on this forum without having to shout "incoming!")

That's an excellent range of VSTs you have in there.

I like the EW strings. I only have the free PIay version from a few years back but I find them easy to knock up arrangements by just playing them live - no scoring first - just sixths and wide spacing. I have Truepianos (think they're 4-Front).

You'll have Kontakt included in Komplete 5. Have you tried any of the Kirk Hunter strings he sells for it? Keep reading good things. That and the choir in Kontakt are tempting me into getting it (Kontakt 5).

Reaction score
Sorry Goz, I missed the question on the Receptor. Mine is a Receptor Pro w/750G hard drive. It has NI Komplete 5, Atmosphere, Trilogy, EWQLSO Platinum, Colossus, Miroslav, Ivory, 4-Front, and some more that I don't even remember.
I've not spent much time with it yet, but have tested some of the sounds and it does sound fantastic. It has a lot of samples from various sources and is set-up to play them from Kontakt. I think this will be a great machine for me once I get it programmed for the sounds I want to use. Don

Don you ever had stability issues with the receptor? I must admit they are very tempting, as are the Neko and Meko keyboards, if that's what they're called, I can't remember right now.

Reaction score
NeKo - it's the OpenLabs attempts if anyone wants to Google them. Here's a link:

http://www.openlabs.com/olproducts.html

They've some people you may know listed on their Artist list.

I'm always wary of this when I don't see any of their gear touring. Companies sometimes donate stuff in exchange for a bit of name checking on their web site.

Openlabs have been around a while. No links to reviews from Sound On Sound or Keyboard Mag (US) on their site.

Here's a review from 2005:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan05/articles/openlabsneko.htm

I am interested in this area (some way of running VSTs live) - but been back to hardware for a few years for stability and ease of set-up.

Ask a Question