Batch tuning samples

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this question because it's more sampler than keyboard related but I know there are some very knowledgeable people on this forum so I will give it a try.

For several years now I've been working on a software based midi arranger that I will be releasing soon. To make the output of my arranger as consistent as possible it will come bundled with a pack of public domain instruments. I mention this because sometimes public domain samples aren't the absolute best in the world, but it's what I have to work with.

Currently I'm working on a set of trumpet samples to create trumpet and brass patches. I understand that brass instruments aren't the easiest in the world to play in perfect pitch and what I'm finding is that some of the samples I downloaded drift slightly off tune. These are samples that start with perfect pitch but during the duration of the note they might go up a few cents and finaly end a few cents below zero as the trumpet player runs out of air in his lungs. I have played the samples through an autotune plugin and amazingly the tuning is corrected quite naturally.

I guess I could load all the samples in my DAW, create a sequence that plays each sample at full velocity through the autotune while recording on an audio track and then re-trim each sample and re-export it as an individual wav file again but it seems like an awful lot of work for something that is actually quite simple. And I have to do this for nearly sixty samples.

So here is my question. Do you know of any software that will let you do this type of thing in batch mode? I know Audacity will let you apply plugins to sound files internally without having to acutaly play them but no batch mode that I know of.

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
If the purpose of the arranger is to make realistic sounding arrangements, I'm not sure that perfection in pitch is something to aim for. If real trumpet players pitch vary slightly while playing, that's part of the sound of the instrument. But that's just me.

I'm looking at software arrangers right now, so keep me in the loop on the development. Also, let me know how yours is different from vArranger.

Reaction score
I totally agree with you about perfect pitch not being natural with certain instruments and I admit that these trumpet samples actually don't sound that bad on their own. It's mostly when I stack the trumpet up with a sax and a trombone to make a brass patch that it starts to sound like an amateur school band. This is an example of the samples I'm talking about that need tuning: https://www.freesound.org/people/MTG/sounds/247126/

How is my Soft Arranger different from VArranger you ask? Well the short answer is that VAarranger is much better :)

I really don't know VArranger very well but it has been around for a long time. I suppose they are a team of professional programmers who actually do that for a living and their program is obviously very mature. In comparison I am just an ignorant musician who taught myself enough code to get by ;).

These are some points that come to mind where I think Soft Arranger has an advantage:
- It is free!!!
- It doesn't deal with audio, only MIDI so it's much simpler and easier to use.
- It is cross platform so it works the same on Windows and Mac.
- It's just a single file and doesn't require installation so you could run it off a pen drive.
- Styles are very easy to create although you can't use any existing styles like (Yamaha, Roland, Korg...).
- You can also play midifiles and easily and jump to different parts of the song during playback.

There are probably also other things but like I say I don't know VArranger very well.

Within a month or so I should be able to produce a beta version and if you like I can let you know so you can try it out and give me some feedback.

Ask a Question