Buying Expensive Keyboards

Reaction score
For a beginner is there any point in rushing out to buy an expensive keyboard. I ask because at the moment i have been scouring the internet for keyboards and some of the Keyboards i have liked are way over priced in my limited experience. While looking for some Keys i stumbled across a G4M DP-6 Keyboard which to me sounded beautiful and as good as some of the Branded ones i have heard. I know that being unbranded it won't keep it's price like say a Yamaha but other than that i think it's a steal. Been thinking of pulling the trigger and getting one and would like to hear your thoughts.
Thanks

3dc

Reaction score
From my experience:
I bought my Yamaha E463 last year in February just to get started but since it was severely limited I have decided to sell it and upgrade to something more serious. But what to buy?
In the end I opted to go for MIDI Controller + synth packed DAW route for two reasons:
1. I am on PC most of the time anyway ( 3D and video editing ).
2. The final cost of my entry level music production rig was much lower then any professional branded workstation.
This will give me time to learn in complete comfort music production, music theory, sound design, synths. On top of that it will give me time to save money for professional 88 key workstation like Korg Kronos, Roland Phantom or Yamaha Montage.

My advice is to go cheap but not to cheap you will then regret it in terms of product quality or lack of features. Think carefully what you pick, ask for advice and warranty period. See if there are some decent YT reviews for your final choice. I checked Korg, Yamaha and Casio forums to see what kind of problems people had with models I was interested in.

We have a saying here: You are not rich enough to buy cheap stuff that won't last.
Anyway my 5 cents.

Reaction score
Thanks @3dc I appreciate anybody's feedback to be honest, delving into the unknown abyss for me concerning keyboards. I have seen a couple of good ones on Thomann and they also have some good feedback. My problem is with the new rules regarding Brexit. I have absolutely no idea what it's going to cost, i don't want to spend £400 only to find i have to spend another £100 for VAT. I think that it going up to £500 would almost push it out of my price range. Anyway the 2 on Thomann. One is a digital Piano and the other is an Arranger Piano and have no idea what that is. Both have 128 Polyphony which is better than most of the ones that are branded, both sound nice and are similar sounds which sound nice. It's just the actual cost to get one shipped all in. I have e-mailed Thomann asking for an estimate so will wait and see what occurs.

3dc

Reaction score
That is what I am talking about. You are jumping into abyss without checking what's on the bottom. :)

Arranger piano is usually packed with additional sounds ( woodwind, strings, percussion, ... ) and various style accompaniments so you can play all types of music. These are like a one man band arrangers. You play melody with the right hand and style accompaniment with left hand. Stage pianos have more or less only few piano type sound. That's it.

First decide what is your long term intended use. To learn and play piano only or you want to be able to play other types of music and songs. See if you actually need 88 keys or you can get away with 76 or even 61 keys. Next set your budget and see whats available on Thomann.

Here is an example of arranger piano and piano only keyboard review.

CASIO CDP-S350

CASIO CDP-S100

There are other models and other price ranges from respectable brands. The important thing is that you take your time. Don't hurry with your decision.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks again @3dc , I just want to learn keyboard at the end of the day and have something that feels and sounds Authentic, or as Authentic as it can be for the money i am paying, i have never been a Big Brand buyer except for my Fender Strat which i have had a very long time. Keyboard is a different Beast, with Guitar i knew what i wanted from an early age and what type and make. I think Keyboards are a lot more confusing, i like the look and sound of the Arranger Keyboard but also the sound and look of the other, but at the end of the day i just want a 88 key weighted keyboard that feels and sounds nice. The brand names is more like buying the name and not the item, the ones i have in mind all sound equally as good as the branded ones and i need to decide which one i want.

Reaction score
It is a dilema

Sub £1000 keyboard options typically:-

Arranger - 61 keys synth type action, plenty of onboard styles and sounds Casio CT X5000, Yamaha PSR E473 (these are the best imo of the low cost arrangers), onboard amp and speakers

Digital piano - 73-88 keys with hammer action which varies in feel tremendously, limited onboard sounds, Korg D1, Yamaha P125, Roland FPX30, Kawai ES110, onboard amp and speakers

Arranger piano - 88 hammer action keybed with limted arranger features and less sounds than a full on arranger. Yamaha DGX670, Casio S3000, Korg XE20, onboard amp and speakers.

Workstation - 61-76-88 keys of differing action, 1000+ sounds, no onboard amp or speakers, Roland Juno DSm Korg Kross 2, Yamaha MODX

Of the models available Yamaha by far have the most variation starting from cr4p keyboards for kids moving up to the E series (mediocre sounds and a poor menu system but OK for learning the basics) and then there is the SX series of arrangers which are pretty good but you are talking £1000 for the SC 700 with the Korg PA 700 being the equivalent

As a beginner you probably have no idea which wa you are going, heck I have been playing keys for five years after transitioning from a guitar and I still do not know what I ultimately want (not true I do buy they do not yet make it).

I started with a Yamaha E series and hated it, it was rubbish, I cannot describe just how bad a keyboard it was. On a visit to my local Music Store they had a brand new model in the store it was so new there were only a handful in the Country. I walked out the door with one of the first Korg PA700 arrangers (as it happened it was their demo model which the Sales Guy should not have sold, he should have just taken an order) and so my love/hate relationship with Korg began. I played the PA700 back to back with a Yamaha S770/5 and it was then a no contest. It was quite a leap in cost, £1100 at the time and the learning curve was steep but I mastered it and everything could then be produced and set up very easily and quickly. When I took it to our Group sessions the others would be pushing buttons for an age on their Yamaha's, me press Songbook button > scroll to the required song > tap to select, all good and ready to play, ave time 3s.

I would now not buy a MIDI controller keyboard and I have bought and sold quite a few (low cost ones generally have rubbish keybeds and the better built ones are not much different in price to a workstation), and with Korg Kross 2 / Roland Juno DS etc workstations having MIDI connections it makes sense to me to buy one of these then you have the best of all worlds.

My journey through the keyboard world continues, I am starting to want an Arranger and a Digital piano and whilst I have a DP, it is time for a change to one with more onboard sounds and features.

I have a Yamaha P121 which will soon be consigned to eBay UK and hence I am considering a Kawai MP7SE or a Roland R88 (the Kawai has the edge thanks to MIDI in/out sockets). This would give me the 88 hammer action keys which I want to retain playing and then I can add an Arranger to my setup at some stage.

OK so based on this what do I suggest, well I cannot, all I can do is offer what I have been through and suggest options to you.

As an 88 key one size fits all but at a reasonable price then the Casio S3000 would be a pretty good choice but I stress for its price. Yes the Yamaha DGX 670 is probably the better overall unit but the small size and weight of the Casio wins if you want a keyboard that is easier to transport. The larger array of onboard sounds and arranger features blow the lesser S1000 away imo that is.

OR

A Roland Juno 76 or 88 would be a good workstation to consider and these would give onboard MIDI in/out sockets and the 76 keybed would be a good compromise.

Reaction score
The maximum amount i am willing to put into a Keyboard is probably £480-£500 which for me is a great amount of cash, The ones i like at Thomann are roughly £400 but after adding VAT at 20% you are talking another £80 on top which is a poor state of affairs. I was wanting the Yamaha P 125 but it goes over what i want to put into a keyboard, Korg B2 looks good but think i prefer the D1 and Casio i don't usually look at as i see them as toys, probably from having a Casiotone as a kid. Roland seem a good option but prices seem high again, i will take another look at Casio and Roland. I like Korg but the Proprietry Pedals put me off, plus most Korg Keyboards are geared towards Apple than Android. Thanks @Biggles you have certainly given some options to look at. The P45 also looks good for what it is.

Reaction score
Yeah i noticed that, I have a couple of Roland Amps so that wouldn't be a problem. I have noticed how prices vary so much, i like the look of the P45 as well but can't decide. It's hard work this Piano hunting lark lol

Reaction score
Yeah i noticed that, I have a couple of Roland Amps so that wouldn't be a problem. I have noticed how prices vary so much, i like the look of the P45 as well but can't decide. It's hard work this Piano hunting lark lol
Tell me about it

3 trips to local music store 2 miles away
2 trips to a store 15 miles away
2 trips to a store 5 miles away
2 trip to a store 35 miles away

All to try out and get to know the DP's that I was interested in buying

Good luck on making your decision, I hope you are less indecisive as I was

Reaction score
I can't get out to travel but literally spend most of the day looking for a Keyboard, i think i have one in mind then read something which puts me off. I am usually pretty good with deciding things but with this it's a pain, plus i like things added like maybe a stand or a cover. I am going to have to be less picky but if i am going to use something for a long time i want it to be right. Good Luck with your hunt @Biggles and Thanks for all your advice so far.

Reaction score
Forget about stands and covers, if these are bundled they will be pretty low end.

Why would anyone put a $1000+ keyboard on a $10 stand? You get what you pay for, buy a quality Z stand like On Stage, Hercules or any from K&M.

Reaction score
Think i am going to get the Yamaha P45, it seems to have everything i need in a Piano. I love the sound of the Grand Piano and Strings plus it doesn't look that bad. I was thinking about the Korg B2 but they seem a bit rare atm. Looking for the cheapest P45 and seen one Brand New at £359, not seen any cheaper ones about. @Biggles thinking about it i think your right about stands and covers etc, i can always add things later. I have a stand buy will look into getting a Z Stand like you suggest.

Reaction score
For Piano sounds Yamaha are the ones to beatm if the sounds are the same as mine Piano is good, EP pretty good, Organ just OK, strings OK. For the price though they are pretty good with only really Casio as a competitor, low end Korg's imo lag behind in sound quality.

By way of future proofing if you do get a Z stand consider a two tier or a mdel which as the accessory of a second tier available.

My first Z stand was a Roland and it was only a single and no second tier was available, it was one of my many keyboard/guitar related eBay sales.

Reaction score
Changed my mind again and opted for the Korg B2, there is something i really like about it but can't put my finger on it. The Technology is newer than the Yamaha with the keyboard being less than 2 years old. I haven't read a bad review about it anywhere which is always a positive, plus i can get it for a way lower price saving almost £50. I looked at the Casio and to me lacks any ooomph, i found the sound quite lacklustre with nothing that hit's you in the face. I think if i am going to be playing the same keyboard for at least the next 2 years i want something that i like and the Korg ticks all the boxes for me as a beginner. Thanks for the help and advice so far.

Reaction score
https://www.keyboardforums.com/threads/digital-pianos-c£500-750-usd-€600-860-cnd-960-aud.30702/

Was my thread on my way to buying.

Not really a lot to choose between them, I did like the Korg D1 but the lack of onboard speakers put me off it and the lack of decent outputs put me off the Roland.

Good luck with your buy.

PS
As you are becoming a Korgie you may like to head over to the Korgforum and join that as well as here where we are far more helpful.

Reaction score
@Biggles Took your advice and joined the Korg Forum, my order will be going in tomorrow depending on stock, They have 3 left which isn't a lot in the scheme of things. Fingers crossed now.

Reaction score
Went to Amazon to buy the Korg B2 and it says can't be delivered to my Address, don't know what to do now as i had my heart set on the Korg and can't find another. I ended up buying the Casio CPS-100

Last edited:

Ask a Question