Korg Krome EX or Kurzweil PC4

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am a somewhat technologically challenged keyboardist who normally uses a keyboard sequencer to compose rather than use DAW, but DAW is on my list of things to learn (I have a blank/clean PC ready to go).

I used to own a Krome and loved the simplicity of it, especially the sequencer. Trying to decide if I should purchase an EX or a PC4. Have to wait till the PC4 is back in stock to try it.

Incidentally, I also will be purchasing a Nord Wave 2 or a similar synth once the. NW2 is available to try.

These will be solely used in my home studio to compose.

Thanks folks! If you could kindly use “user friendly” terms in your replies that would be great!

Reaction score
One of the things I've learned about Kurzweil with the ownership of my PC3 (predecessor to the PC4) is that with VAST, nothing is simple. VAST is a deep dive type of architecture. It is powerful and does ALOT, but with power comes complexity. Give you've used a Krome and love its simplicity and mentioned that you are technology challenged, I would stay with the Krome.

Reaction score
Do have a look at the Korg forum website, the Krome EX does seem to be an underwhelming upgrade.

An alternative for you to consider would be a Roland FA, this is an Ed Diaz video tutorial on the inbuilt recording function

Reaction score
Thanks delaware dave,

That was my thinking too; go with something I already know. Thanks for your advice!

Reaction score
Thanks Biggles for your advice! My keyboard guy at the music store told me the same thing- not such a great upgrade, but if I was going to go the route of a Krome, I may as well get the latest version.

I will def check out the FA08. Thanks again!

Reaction score
Another Korg to consider is the Pa700 arranger which should be at a similar price point to the Krome but it does only have 61 keys. That said its inbuilt recording is very good as is its DAW connectivity.

Ask a Question