1 Octive is Out

Reaction score
On my old 1986 Yamaha PF-80 weighted electric piano, the 2nd lowest octive of keys went out suddenly. Everything elese works fine. Any ideas?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Probably a dirty connector or a leaky capacitor.

Most likely oxidation on a keyboard connector, but at that age the capacitors are surely drying out.

DIY repair at your own risk.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
So today the lower octave of keys is still working, but the 2nd to highest octave of keys is now out!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Look. Do you feel confident enough to take it apart and remove the connectors, clean them, and reconnect them without bending any pins and reassemble the entire unit without creating any new problems for yourself or not?

There's plenty of instructional youtube videos on the subject and my first (and only) tip is to thoroughly document the entire disassembly with video or still pics.

But if you're not up to it, take it to a tech for $125 an hour.

The diagnosis is not going to change. A loose or dirty internal connector.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
So today the lower octave of keys is still working, but the 2nd to highest octave of keys is now out!
Is English your first language or do you have to run the replies through the translator?

You have been given the response as to the likely cause.

Others here including myself will offer the same advice.

So move on, get it repaired or buy a new keyboard.

Clicking the LIKE on Happyrat1’s replies would at least show some appreciation for the time he has taken to type the responses and for his advice.

Reaction score
I've opened the unit several times and repaired a few issues successfully. In doing so I have also disconnected and reconnected all wires and ribbon cables and sprayed a small amount of contact cleaner on them. I even tested the keys with the piano powered up and opened to see if manipulating the wires and cables affected any of the keys but saw no results.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Like I said, there is a lack of continuity affecting single banks of keys.

Pull out your scope and start tracing signals.

On a 40 yr old board, electrolytic caps are suspect.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yyz

Latest Threads