Avoiding Carpal syndrome and tendon problems

Reaction score
Here are my recommendations (my .02 cents worth)

STOP when you are experiencing hand, finger or wrist problem.... continuing will definitely make things worse and healing will take longer.

PRACTICE for shorter times.... more often.... is the best way to avoid all these distresses.

Try to practice several different pieces of music in each session..... that way hand movement changes are more varied..... if you play the identical piece over and over for in excess of an hour.... the repetitive nature of the movement is your source of any potential problems.

Finally, you need to select fingerings that suit your specific hand size and shape..... take a look at my suggested fingerings in the video below.... this is suitable for most hands but may not be right for you.... REMEMBER: Fingering is NOT 'cast in stone' .... and most teachers/judges will not even comment on your fingering UNLESS it is impeding your progress or interfering with your timing.

Reaction score
Posture and care are very important to hand health. Also, don't forget to keep your nails trimmed properly. You need your hands to always be in the best possible shape they can be.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Carpal Tunnel syndrome is not a result of over working fingers or lack of strength in fingers. This is a nerve problem which originates from the wrist. It causes pins and needles down through the fingers. So it needs treatment. Possible surgery.
Exercising fingers and practising fingering does not cure Carpal Syndrome.
Ray

Reaction score
Carpal Tunnel syndrome is not a result of over working fingers or lack of strength in fingers. This is a nerve problem which originates from the wrist. It causes pins and needles down through the fingers. So it needs treatment. Possible surgery.
Exercising fingers and practising fingering does not cure Carpal Syndrome.
Ray

Very true.

I got it in the eighties through playing squash, it was very uncomfortable.

Ask a Question