Born To Be Wild

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Considering this is an all time 70's Rock Classic I can't really say I cared much for the elevator interpretation of the song. But then again that's just me :)

On the other hand I perused your other tunes and thoroughly enjoyed Walking the Dog and Watermelon Man.

Personally I'd like to hear more jazz standards on your page. I think that should be your true direction :)

Gary

Reaction score
Gary I posted a song on this site and hoped to get some critique on it.
Your comments never mentioned 1 single aspect of the song. What you did was pompously gave me career advice.
Many people are very hesitant about posting music up in front of their piers and all the time there is somebody like you here, It will sadly never happen on this forum!
Thank you for reminding me to never post here again because I see something like this and I just feel like giving up playing altogether.
I have changed my comments on here because I did not like what I put.
Barry

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Barry,

It's not my intention to be either pompous nor insulting. I simply said that I didn't much care for an elevator music rendition of one of the greatest rock and roll anthems of my childhood and that I preferred your jazz pieces instead.

If you cannot accept this as constructive criticism AND a compliment then I guess we both need personality transplants then... :(

Gary

Wes

Reaction score
At "true nature's child, born", are you playing E7#9? I hear something different than I how I do this.

Reaction score
Hi Wes
Not sure what key I was in but what I am playing is in effect E7#9 in two halves, a straight E chord in the left to begin then hold that and add G chord with a more piercing sound in the right. Same notes different emphasis. Both chords are in root position. What is a Hammond BC or is that a B and a C. I used to have M100s the old 760 used to have a bit of bite too in it's day.

Wes

Reaction score
Hey, Barry -- interesting way to voice that. I think I play that as a straight Em7 in the first inversion, I have never been able to get it to sound right with the E7#9, which I tried as (IIRC) the Em7 in lower manual and an E7 in the upper. I'll give your way a go the next time I have a chance. For the solo, I play BDEG in the upper manual and slap BCDE in the left. Which is not bad, but again, I think I can do better.

The BC is the second organ Hammond made. Models A, BC/D/G, BV/CV, B2/C2, B3/C3 approximately. Mine is from 1937. It is in really bad shape, but I hope to get it restored this summer. It is in a 'B' style cabinet, but it has two tone generators, no vibrato -- and no bass foldback!

The second tone generator is detuned from the first one which allows for a chorus effect that can be controlled with an extra drawbar up near the start/run switches. There is no vibrato, but there is a tremulant, which is a set of reed switches that go loud/soft/loud/soft really fast.

No foldback means that the 91 tones go "all the way down", so you can hit low C below the bass guitar with the 16' drawbar. Big sound for left hand bass!! This changed somewhere around the BV, they went to 82 tones and then back to 91 tones but "complex tones", not sine waves, for the pedals instead some time around the B2.

The model D is a BC is in a church (C) cabinet, G (Government) is a BC in a ruggedized church cabinet with handles that was deployed with the troops during WWII. BV/CV added vibrato and removed the chorus generator. Vibrato was available in a field upgrade kit, so we have AV, BCV, and DV organs floating around out there.

B2/C2 added the ability to have split vibrato, i.e. different vibrato settings per manual. B3/C3 introduced Hammond percussion ("ping" sound at the start of the note). A100 is a B3/C3 in a home cabinet with speakers and reverb.

The models M, M2, and M3 are the spinet versions of the CV, C2, and B3 respectively. Your M100 was pretty much an M3 with diving board keys and presets, plus reverb and a vibrato celeste tab.

And I do like the growl I get from the 760, much more than I thought it would. And it's *loud*, it has to be a pretty big bar before I need to mike it.

Wes

Ask a Question