Digital Mixer, Audio Interface, or Both.

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just wanted to ask a few questions. At the moment I have 3 keyboards all linked up to my Radial KL8, obviously, my studio monitors are connected to the Radial also. I will soon want to get a DAW and start integrating my computer. This can be a little tricky with the Radial and it doesn't integrate with my iPad. The Radial is ideal for my keyboards but what would be best for me to add... An audio interface, a mixer, or both? what are the pro's and con's of each? what setup would you advise?

Thank you!

Reaction score

Looks like this would do the job nicely, or -

But maybe over-kill!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I have a Yamaha 16 channel USB mixer I bought almost a decade ago.

I retired it last year when I replaced it with a Mackie 12 Channel model. (downsized)

I could heartily recommend either one with one caveat.

The yamaha is not fully class compliant. If you want volume control you have to install their drivers to enable that function.

Definitely a big problem for Linux systems,

I can't speak for the A&E. Never used one.

Reaction score
I have a Yamaha 16 channel USB mixer I bought almost a decade ago.

I retired it last year when I replaced it with a Mackie 12 Channel model. (downsized)

I could heartily recommend either one with one caveat.

The yamaha is not fully class compliant. If you want volume control you have to install their drivers to enable that function.

Definitely a big problem for Linux systems,

I can't speak for the A&E. Never used one.

Thank you, Gary. After doing some research I found that digital mixers can also have really good audio interfaces combined with preamps and effects... sounds like the way to go and that will integrate into DAW.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Here's my current setup.

studio-flowchart-jpg.3018

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Except the computer is now an apple and the kurzweil is out for repair and currently replaced with a Numa Compact 2x

Reaction score
Did you ever receive that Arturia polysynth you ordered last winter?
No!... I, as I am sure most others, have been finding it hard to purchase boards because of import/export problems. Most of the boards I wanted were on "back order" with Sweetwater. As a result, I have a mix-up. A Yamaha YC88, Roland Fantom 7, and a Korg PA5X. I am really happy with them for now.

Reaction score
I presume the Radial can be chained into the Mixer so I have my three boards running from the Radial. I wanted to get Sonarworks but soon realized it would not work with my current set-up.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It's a steep learning curve, but shares a lot with Linux.

Apple is based on FreeBSD UNIX so after 5 or 6 months I began to get a handle on it.

The nice thing about the Apple universe is guaranteed compatibility among devices.

Also it doesn't hurt that it's the de facto standard in the industry.

Reaction score
It's a steep learning curve, but shares a lot with Linux.

Apple is based on FreeBSD UNIX so after 5 or 6 months I began to get a handle on it.

The nice thing about the Apple universe is guaranteed compatibility among devices.

Also it doesn't hurt that it's the de facto standard in the industry.
Yeah, I get that. I just spent 4K on a Dell but was thinking one day I might get an Apple laptop.

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just wanted to ask a few questions. At the moment I have 3 keyboards all linked up to my Radial KL8, obviously, my studio monitors are connected to the Radial also. I will soon want to get a DAW and start integrating my computer. This can be a little tricky with the Radial and it doesn't integrate with my iPad. The Radial is ideal for my keyboards but what would be best for me to add... An audio interface, a mixer, or both? what are the pro's and con's of each? what setup would you advise?

Thank you!
Have a look at the Alto 802 Live:
Link

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Whether you spend $700 on the mechanical type or $4000 on a digital, unless you are scoring a movie. it won't make you sound any better :)

Reaction score
Yes!... I am not so deluded to expect myself to sound any better :) Just liking the digital because of the display and the possibility that it might make my learning a little more intuitive.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If you find touch screens and menu diving "more intuitive" than actual knobs and sliders that are the real thing most digital menus try to imitate, enjoy, but every menu I have to browse just murders creativity. :p

Gary ;)

Ask a Question