General Digital Keyboard Question

Reaction score
Several months ago, my daughter gave me a Yamaha YPG-625 digital keyboard that she had for maybe 10 years. This is the instrument that I am learning to play. Since I have never played a conventional piano, I have a general question. When the keys on my keyboard return to their original position after being played, there is a rather loud audible "clunk". I have assumed that this was due to the design of a digital keyboard. Am I correct or is this common to only certain digital keyboards like mine? Thank you.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
From what I understand, it isn't an uncommon problem, and it can be more common with certain makes and models, but it isn't "normal" in the sense of being a non-issue that you should just learn to live with. There are special lubricants you can buy which are especially designed for keyboards, which can be used to eliminate the clunking sound or, if not get rid of it entirely, at least help to reduce it.

Unfortunately, all of my online searches for "keyboard lubricant" are giving results for computer keyboards, and I'm not sure what specific type of lubricant you need for musical keyboards or which brands are preferred, but maybe someone else will chime in with suggestions and guidance.

Service manual

Parts in general

Reaction score
From what I understand, it isn't an uncommon problem, and it can be more common with certain makes and models, but it isn't "normal" in the sense of being a non-issue that you should just learn to live with. There are special lubricants you can buy which are especially designed for keyboards, which can be used to eliminate the clunking sound or, if not get rid of it entirely, at least help to reduce it.

Unfortunately, all of my online searches for "keyboard lubricant" are giving results for computer keyboards, and I'm not sure what specific type of lubricant you need for musical keyboards or which brands are preferred, but maybe someone else will chime in with suggestions and guidance.

Service manual

Parts in general
Thank you for the response. It is hard to imagine that a lubricant to reduce the clunking sound of the keys. But I am certainly open to looking at any such products that might be available.

Ask a Question