Digital piano directly through a keyboard/synth?

Reaction score
My ideal instrument would be a decent arranger with some decent signal processing power and a nice weighted/hammer action keyboard. If one exists, I can't afford it (been looking at the Yamaha DGX-640 but the keys action isn't great). So I was thinking if I could start with either a digital piano, or a less expensive work station, I could eventually build what I want.

Is it possible? What would I need to look for (inputs/outputs??

If I got a digital piano with a nice piano sound, would I lose the actual sound by using the piano as a midi controller driving the synth/keyboard?

I appreciate any other relevant information. I am totally new to this and don't really understand midi. Right now my price range is probably around $400 per piece (there are some nice used $400 synths or workstations locally, as well as some digi pianos with pretty nice action.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You can use almost any MIDI enabled keyboard to control almost any other MIDI enabled synth Joe. No problems there.

I realize you poo pooed Casio keyboards earler for some reason but take a look at the Privia PX-3S, which, though being phased out, still makes a hell of a good MIDI controller as well as having a decent compliment of voices on its own. The fact that it's being replaced by the PX-5S actually means that it's hugely discounted nowadays.

BTW, the PX-3S is a professional grade stage instrument so it doesn't have any built in speakers.

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-PX3S-Se...?ie=UTF8&qid=1381102796&sr=8-1&keywords=px-3s

Reaction score
Funny you should mention that ;) I don't like Casio keyboard keys but their digital pianos are not so bad. There is a Casio CDP-100 at a somewhat local Guitar Center. It is a very basic digital piano, with very good reviews regarding it's key action and it's sound (mostly when played through the audio out jack). It has Midi in/out, and is listed at $230.
http://www.amazon.com/Casio-CDP-100...e=UTF8&qid=1381123170&sr=8-1&keywords=cdp-100

I could play around with it for a while, and later get myself a little 61 key arranger or synth and play around with accompaniment or make some background tracks.

The more I play with weighted keys and quality piano sounds, the more I want them. I almost want to drop the guitar lessons and switch to piano... :/

Ask a Question