Fender Rhodes, Roland Jupiter-4 and fender Rhodes piano bass

Reaction score
its ok to laugh...really! This is a quite uninformed, potentially really stupid question.
I'm a '50-something' multi-instrumentalist (least knowledgeable about keys) composing/producing a WIDE array of stuff in my spare time.
When I wanted the synth bassline sound p-funk/Bernie worrell used on "flashlight' and "one nation under a groove', I bought a 70's mini-moog. Mission accomplished.
Now I want the following sounds:
1)nick Rhodes/Duran Duran's arpeggio sequenced synth sounds from "rio' and 'hungry like the wolf'
2) ray manzerek/the doors piano bass lines from 'break on through'
3) Ramsey Lewis/doors key sounds from 'sun goddess' and 'riders on the storm'

I Don't really have to now buy (respectively) a Roland Jupiter 4, fender Rhodes piano bass and a fender Rhodes from the 60's-80's off eBay, do I?
Can u tell me of a modern day machine/computer program that does any or all of these things?
Thanks!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Get a Studiologic Sledge 2.1

It can sound like abso-freaking-lutely ANYTHING!!!!

There's a whole series of excellent youtube tutorials outlining how to recreate about 70 or 80 famous tunes from the past thirty years.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=studiologic sledge 2.1 tutorials

It's a virtual analogue synth capable of loading in samples as well as using a bank of internal wavetable sounds. Plus it uses a Fatar Keybed with Channel Aftertouch.

Best part is it sells for under a grand USD.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1139508-REG/studiologic_sledge_2_sledge_2_0_61_note_24.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...ologic_sledge_2_black_sledge_synthesizer.html

I bought one for myself last xmas and I do not regret it one bit :)

All the recent models ship with the 2.1 firmware, not the 2.0.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks! At a glance, the device you mentioned
looks like a modern version of the 70's mini moog---is that impression correct?

Also, Would a store like guitar center carry this device, so I can try it out first?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The Sledge is a MiniMoog Clone like a Ferrari is a Yugo Clone :D

Apples and oranges. There's no comparison.

Think more superset and subset. The Sledge can emulate a Minimoog. A Minimoog could NOT emulate a Sledge.

As for local dealers? It will depend on where you live? How close to a major city? What Country? How much legwork are you willing to put into hunting down a demonstrator?

If you're willing to search a 100 Km radius you may find a local dealer who has one in stock.

Otherwise you'd just have to do your proper homework and order from an online vendor with a good price and a decent returns policy.

Personally I ordered mine on faith and experienced no regrets.

But that's up to you.

The truth is that we live in times where it's impossible to test drive every keyboard before we buy it.

We just have to educate ourselves on the specs and put our faith in quality control inspectors at the factories to avoid the duds.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Alternative suggestion, without knowing a lot of things like your budget, how many keys, weighted or unweighted action, etc.

Fred Coulter (a regular contributor here) owns one of these bad boys.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Paul >>> While I realize you're attempting to be thorough here it would only be fair to mention that the Kronos sells between $3K and $5K USD depending on which particular model you go for.

The studiologic I mentioned addresses the original poster's needs very well while keeping the budget sensibly below $1K USD.

Seriously, any recent model, top of the line workstation could probably fit the bill, but the price tags are triple or more the cost of the sledge.

Add to the fact that the original poster is a multi-instrumentalist and not a full time keyboard player, and the sledge can serve quite nicely as virtual analog synth with wavetable and sampling capability allowing it to work as a swiss army knife of sound while staying within a sane and sensible budget :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score

Ask a Question