Great (legal) music dowloads of Art Tatum (and many more jazz artists)

Reaction score
There are some fabulous live recordings here of many of the most famous jazz artists from 1921-91 and they are free to download (no ads or bs) in several formats. Hope you enjoy, especially the Art Tatum section. You've never heard a keyboardist until you've heard him play.

[link removed]

Julio in Denver

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
My understanding is that the copyright for music runs for 70 years after the death of the last author, so unfortunately I cannot allow that link here. Some of it may be ok (I don't have time to check it all), but there are composers in that list who only died in recent years.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Art Tatum section. You've never heard a keyboardist until you've heard him play.
I am a huge fan of jazz music in all forms. This got me curious since I am not familiar with much of Art Tatum so I looked him up on youtube.
He can certainly play the keys alright. Most exciting indeed . " Caravan" "Tea for two" etc.
Thanks for the heads up julio.
Cheers ray

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually Becky, copyright runs for different amounts of time depending on which country you are in. I believe in the US now the DMCA grants copyright for 100 years after the death of the author.

This was largely brought into play due to the lobbying efforts of the Disney Corporation which was due to lose control of Mickey Mouse around 2000.

I'm not certain about Canada but I believe here it is still 50 years after the death of the author.

https://www.copyrightlaws.com/canadian-copyright-law-what-is-the-duration-of-copyright-in-canada/

Still, you are based in the UK and to avoid litigation I can understand your caution concerning UK copyright law.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Still, you are based in the UK and to avoid litigation I can understand your caution concerning UK copyright law.

Yeah it's a tricky one but I have to play it safe :rolleyes:

Thanks for the article, very interesting! Let's hope they don't muck around with the law too much...

Reaction score
Good move Becky.

Our laws are a nightmare.

I used to have a music license and also a mechanical copyright protection license yet I was not covered to use any non Royalty Paid Music in any videos I made where fees were involved in watching them, the licenses also did not include any music included in Youtube or Vimeo uploads.

Confused yet?

Ask a Question